Fly Tying Materials Swap Shop

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Backwater, Feb 13, 2018 at 9:11 AM.

1. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

This thread is where you can sell some of your excess tying materials or materials you don't need, but someone else could use it. Buy, Sell, Trade, Swap, WTB (wanted to buy) Etc.

RULES:

This is not for fly shops or businesses to post materials on! Only personal stuff that you have that you want to thin out some of your stock or are not using where someone else can take advantage of at a decent price.

Maybe you picked up something you needed and it was a deal but you had to buy it in bulk. I recommend breaking it down in smaller lengths and packages, so someone doesn't have to pick up the entire lot that you decided you didn't like. But they can just get a small piece of it to try out and use. Then put a reasonable price on it that makes economical sense to the end users/buyers. I suggest discounting it to the amount percentage relative to what the total bulk cost you. This is not the forum where you are running out and buying bulk and splitting it up to make a profit on here. It's only a classified section for people who already have the material and want to thin out their inventory or for others to look for something they need or want to try and getting a deal on it without committing to it in larger portions that cost more. Or to find something discounted. It also helps some of us recoup some of our money that was spent on materials to try but wasn't used much. Also offering to trade it or post trade for other materials.

Also, there is no problem just giving materials away for free if you don't need it anymore and don't want to hassle selling it or storing it anymore.

This is a great place for fly tying beginners and novices to find deals of tying materials.

Pictures helps help to sell the stuff, so keep that in mind when posting. Also please describe what the material is, brand if any, description of color and what kind of flies it can be used on.

DO NOT post personal info, phone numbers, address, PayPal acct address, email addresses etc. Use the PM to privately share that info with each other, directly.

I recommend using PayPal Family or Friends, so there is no charges for it. I also recommend mailing it USPS 1st class, like you would a letter, use remove all the air out of the ziplock bags and many things can be sent via a regular letter size envelope with just a stamp or a few of them.

This thread if for fly tying materials (feathers, natural hair, synthetics, brushes, chenille, etc (you get the picture)). Also hooks, eyes, weighted eyes... whatever. Also could allow some tying tools (bobbins, bodkins, whip finishers, UV lights, etc).

This is not the place to post fly fishing equipment on!!!

If someone has some items they made up and wants to provide them, like eyes, brushes, rubber legs, fly line loops, etc., then Ok, as an added benefit to the microskiff fly fishers. Just no big businesses.

Let the Fly Material Swap began!!!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 9:56 AM
  2. commtrd

commtrd I Love microskiff.com!

Awesome! Need to get started tying and this may be a good source for some materials. Just picked up a Norvise so getting started.

Rick hambric and Backwater like this.

3. bryson

bryson Lowcountry Degen

I like the idea -- I just made a credit card order from Ole Florida for one measly section of deer hair that I couldn't find locally. I felt bad taking advantage of the free shipping when my whole order was less than 4 bucks.

Anyway, my materials box could definitely use a clean-out!

Backwater likes this.
  4. Rick hambric

Rick hambric Well-Known Member

That’s one hell of a vise to get started!!! I’ll own one someday!!

5. texasag07

texasag07 I Love microskiff.com!

Good idea backwater, I have a decent amount of stuff in bulk and need to purge some here in the next month or so.

Backwater likes this.
  6. EvanHammer

EvanHammer I Love microskiff.com!

A year too late for me - Harvey cleaned out most of my material so I got to start fresh without bins full of stuff I never use

Rick hambric likes this.
  7. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

You can't have my stuff. Who knows when I need something to catch a Mola Mola

Next coyote I shoot I'll cut off the tail and cure it. Then send some out for an exorbitant price like free

8. Backwater

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Hope you're doing ok.

9. Backwater

I have a partial coyote mask I'll a small piece from, if someone really needs it.

You should just go up to the arctic and shoot some polar bears and then sell little 1" x 1" squares of the hide hair (polar bear hair) and make a fortune. ;)

Ok guys, let's see what you got! :cool:

Rick hambric likes this.
  10. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

I'd only shoot a P Bear if I can shoot it out of a heated truck. I hate the cold

Rick hambric likes this.
  11. bonehead

bonehead Well-Known Member

This should be a good thread. Good idea Ted (didn't means to rhyme that lol)

I'll be on the lookout...

Backwater and Rick hambric like this.