Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I have a bunch of tying stuff I’m looking to sell off but have no idea where to begin on a valuation. Looking to get some advice for the always helpful fly fishing forum. I’ll post some pics below.

Also have a Renzetti Saltwater Traveler (Black). That’s pretty much brand new I’m looking to get a value on as well.

F6D907B0-EE43-4324-9733-C122869B045C.jpeg
3F1B1E59-6141-4BF8-AA0D-CD6E6448A35D.jpeg
182BA162-E5CD-490F-989F-768862D0D8F8.jpeg
5F265F35-7262-4F99-99E4-0191C91EFBB1.jpeg
25A3229F-2AEA-479B-B89B-C121FCAECFEF.jpeg
14108D7D-A25D-48B7-947B-5BCD85AB83F8.jpeg
33BCA6F7-37E5-48D8-8DB4-77B6BEB97320.jpeg
B3DC20CF-FB55-454D-9CBA-4D1C4B50F4F3.jpeg
A2B85D65-DD5D-4F69-B36A-1DCF44B3B559.jpeg

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
You giving up tying?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
483 Posts
Looks like you have quite a bit of good material. If you want to sell it in one lot you will have to discount it pretty good from the "replacement cost" since a buyer will be getting lots of stuff they don't need in the lot (either because they don't use that specific color/material or because they already have plenty of it).

You could get more value by selling individual lots (all the brush in one, all the hackle in one, etc). That's probably a good balance between making lots of trips to the post office vs. taking a really big discount.

I imagine you could find comps for a used Renzetti Traveler on this site or eBay but I'm guess $100 or a little more?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
510 Posts
That is a whole lotta stuff. I don't blame you on not knowing where to start. Maybe break into smaller lots like you did with the pictures or in some other way and price into smaller groups. You probably have over $500 bucks in stuff there without the vise.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
Isunoe, you are a great tier! Who cares if you are too busy to fish! Fly tying is great therapy to relieve stress during a long and tough day with work and all. You can take just a few minutes here and there and start tying and designing something new. It will take your mind off of the hassle of the day and get you into thinking about fishing, which will further help get your mind off the stresses of life. Take it from someone that had to go through some bad business deals and also working for assholes. Also working lots of hours, the stresses of getting divorce and going through complete changes in life. From loss loved ones, relocation, raising kids and career changes.... fortunately for me, God got me through all of that, but fly tying and of course fishing and fly fishing really helped. Nothing like wetting a line, even if it's only for an hour or two, and at least thinking about it when you are sitting down at the vise.

I use to joke about being a commercial fly tier.... I tied them on commercials (TV commercials that is). ;) But seriously.... many, many times, I'd be stressed about something (and I'm a pretty easy going guy), go over to my tying station, break out a hook, a bobbin of thread and just start tying a step, then walk away from it. Later or even on another day, I'd come back to it, pick out some different material and start tying in another step on the same fly. Either I had a plan initially to tie something I decided to tie or an image of a fly where I wanted it to look like. But then sometimes, I'd just start building steps, not knowing where it was going to take me and just let each step build the fly to the final product. In either case, a fly could take me a day, several days a week and sometimes even a month. The point is, I could take a few moments to tie in a step and that can be just enough to keep my head screwed on straight, relieve some tension and give me just a brief escape from the monotony of life.

In the end, it'll get you through some "stuff" that life dishes out, gives you a brief escape and gets you thinking about fishing here and there, keeps you in the game and improves your skills. It's got me through a lot after 29yrs of fly tying and literally thousands of flies over the years and is something you can be proud of looking back. Through that, I've developed many custom patterns, that I'm proud of that produces some good fish when I get the chance to go fish them. I've tied a lot that were ok but not something I'd want to keep in my box(es), that I've given away, but are still good for the average joe fly fisherman that don't get to tie their own. And of course some duds that I was too embarrassing to show anyone and took a box razor to them. But all in good fun! ;)

So my advise is to keep it! All of it! Some good stuff there and I would hate to see you regret it later. I've seen your work and you really have the knack for it. It will pay off dividends over the coming years and you will re-coop more back from what you have there than any therapist will charge! I promise you! :D

We also want you to stay with us on the fly forum here. I've seen your post get fewer and fewer. This will also help keep you in a community of fly fishers like yourself. It's good to talk with others about it and chew the fat. ;)

Again.... KEEP IT AND KEEP TYING!!! Lol

Ted Haas

·
I Love microskiff.com!
510 Posts
Isunoe, you are a great tier! Who cares if you are too busy to fish! Fly tying is great therapy to relieve stress during a long and tough day with work and all. You can take just a few minutes here and there and start tying and designing something new. It will take your mind off of the hassle of the day and get you into thinking about fishing, which will further help get your mind off the stresses of life. Take it from someone that had to go through some bad business deals and also working for assholes. Also working lots of hours, the stresses of getting divorce and going through complete changes in life. From loss loved ones, relocation, raising kids and career changes, God go me through all of that, but fly tying and of course, fishing and fly fishing really helped helped. Nothing like wetting a line, even if it's only for an hour or two.

I use to joke about being a commercial fly tier.... I tied them on commercials (TV commercials that is). ;) But many, many times, I'd be stressed about something (and I'm a pretty easy going guy), go over to my tying station, break out a hook, a bobbin of thread and just start tying a step, then walk away from it. Later or even on another day, I'd come back to it, pick out some different material and start tying in another step on the same fly. Either I had a plan initially to tie something I decided to tie or an image of a fly where I wanted it to look like. But then sometimes, I'd just start building steps, not knowing where it was going to take me and just let each step build the fly to the final product. In either case, a fly could take me a day, several days a week and sometimes even a month. The point is, I could take a few moments to tie in a step and that can be just enough to keep my head screwed on straight, relieve some tension and give me just a brief escape from the monotony of life.

In the end, it'll get you through some "stuff" that life dishes out, gives you a brief escape and gets you thinking about fishing here and there, keeps you in the game and improves your skills. It's got me through a lot after 29yrs of fly tying and literally thousands of flies over the years and is something you can be proud of looking back. Through that, I've developed many custom patterns, that I'm proud of that produces some good fish when I get the chance to go fish them. I've tied a lot that were ok but not something I'd want to keep in my box(es), that I've given away, but will still are good for the average joe fly fisherman. And of course some duds that I was too embarrassing to show anyone and took a box razor to them. But all in good fun! ;)

So my advise is to keep it! All of it! Some good stuff there and I would hate to see you regret it later. I've seen your work and you really have the knack for it. It will pay off dividends over the coming years and you will re-coop more back from what you have there than any therapist will charge! I promise you! :D

We also want you to stay with us on there board here. I've seen your post get fewer and fewer. This will also help keep you in a community of fly fishers like yourself. It's good to talk with others about it and chew the fat. ;)

Ted Haas
Good Advice Backwater!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I will second or third the idea of keeping it. I had a big life change years ago that required a serious downsizing and I sold a lot of tying materials and tools. I kept a basic kit but didn’t use it and ending almost giving it away. Actually did give a lot of that to friends. Boxes and boxes of stuff. I had tied commercially and taught tying and just had tons of stuff. In my case it was better that I disposed of it. But if you’re not quitting for good, keep it.

That said...
Now I’m gonna start over. I might be a buyer for your whole collection.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
Isunoe, you are a great tier! Who cares if you are too busy to fish! Fly tying is great therapy to relieve stress during a long and tough day with work and all. You can take just a few minutes here and there and start tying and designing something new. It will take your mind off of the hassle of the day and get you into thinking about fishing, which will further help get your mind off the stresses of life. Take it from someone that had to go through some bad business deals and also working for assholes. Also working lots of hours, the stresses of getting divorce and going through complete changes in life. From loss loved ones, relocation, raising kids and career changes.... fortunately for me, God got me through all of that, but fly tying and of course fishing and fly fishing really helped. Nothing like wetting a line, even if it's only for an hour or two, and at least thinking about it when you are sitting down at the vise.

I use to joke about being a commercial fly tier.... I tied them on commercials (TV commercials that is). ;) But seriously.... many, many times, I'd be stressed about something (and I'm a pretty easy going guy), go over to my tying station, break out a hook, a bobbin of thread and just start tying a step, then walk away from it. Later or even on another day, I'd come back to it, pick out some different material and start tying in another step on the same fly. Either I had a plan initially to tie something I decided to tie or an image of a fly where I wanted it to look like. But then sometimes, I'd just start building steps, not knowing where it was going to take me and just let each step build the fly to the final product. In either case, a fly could take me a day, several days a week and sometimes even a month. The point is, I could take a few moments to tie in a step and that can be just enough to keep my head screwed on straight, relieve some tension and give me just a brief escape from the monotony of life.

In the end, it'll get you through some "stuff" that life dishes out, gives you a brief escape and gets you thinking about fishing here and there, keeps you in the game and improves your skills. It's got me through a lot after 29yrs of fly tying and literally thousands of flies over the years and is something you can be proud of looking back. Through that, I've developed many custom patterns, that I'm proud of that produces some good fish when I get the chance to go fish them. I've tied a lot that were ok but not something I'd want to keep in my box(es), that I've given away, but will still are good for the average joe fly fisherman. And of course some duds that I was too embarrassing to show anyone and took a box razor to them. But all in good fun! ;)

We also want you to stay with us on there board here. I've seen your post get fewer and fewer. This will also help keep you in a community of fly fishers like yourself. It's good to talk with others about it and chew the fat. ;)

Ted Haas
Yep, that^^^

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I have tied about a dozen flies in the past year. I have an abundance of extra flies along with a lack of time. Having said that the desire to tie is like a tide in my life, an ebb and flow. I personally think you should hang on to the material. You will kick yourself in a couple years when you get back into the swing of things.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Unless you're straight hanging it up forever, which is silly... keep that stuff! You have a solid set of tools and enough material to keep you in flies for a while. While your situation might suck now, it won't forever and one day when you find the time you'll be happy you still have all that stuff at your disposal.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
There's a good chance that I might reach a point in the near future where I my not be capable of fishing anymore and that I'd start unloading some of my stuff.
With that thought I looked at shipping costs USPS. Small lots can be shipped from $7.25 to $14.00. I figure that a lot of guys would be willing to pay $25 to $50.00 total on impulse buys if they thought they are getting a good deal, getting one or two items they could use along with a few things they might use.

Unused packages I assuming are worth at least 50% retail, some items more and some less. Opened/used stuff 10 to 50%.

Looking at your pics you have "modern/current" type materials limited to salt but there should be a lot of interest.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,142 Posts
I would keep it. To sell all in one lot your going to get about 40-50% of what you paid for it maybe less. At a rough glance I would a say $200-$225 with vise in a lot cause there is lots of stuff a lot of people don’t want or need and it’s hard to get rid off stuff you don’t like.

·
Registered
473 Posts

In the end, it'll get you through some "stuff" that life dishes out, gives you a brief escape and gets you thinking about fishing here and there, keeps you in the game and improves your skills. It's got me through a lot after 29yrs of fly tying and literally thousands of flies over the years and is something you can be proud of looking back. Through that, I've developed many custom patterns, that I'm proud of that produces some good fish when I get the chance to go fish them. I've tied a lot that were ok but not something I'd want to keep in my box(es), that I've given away, but are still good for the average joe fly fisherman that don't get to tie their own. And of course some duds that I was too embarrassing to show anyone and took a box razor to them. But all in good fun! ;)

We also want you to stay with us on the fly forum here. I've seen your post get fewer and fewer. This will also help keep you in a community of fly fishers like yourself. It's good to talk with others about it and chew the fat. ;)

Ted Haas
Awesome advice ... that explains a lot why I tie ....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts