Fly Swap -- Redfish Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by bryson, Aug 18, 2017.

1. rakeel

rakeel I Love microskiff.com!

Got mine this weekend as well. I'll echo what others have said in that the pictures on here didn't do the flies justice. Great work guys! I'm going fishing Friday come hell or high water. Hopefully I'll find some fish to feed.

MatthewAbbott and bryson like this.
  2. bryson

bryson I Love microskiff.com!

Glad to see some of these are showing up already! I dropped the prepaid ones in my mailbox Wednesday, but it was after mail pickup (they should have gone out Thursday). I managed to leave work a little early and went to the post office Thursday, so the remainder went out then. I'm not sure if they would have actually been mailed on Thursday or Friday. I expect everyone to get their flies either today or tomorrow if you haven't gotten them already.

I really enjoyed getting to host this -- thank you guys for trusting me, even with it being my first one. Definitely looking forward to seeing some fish pictures!

3. MatthewAbbott

MatthewAbbott Active Member

Man I'm super excited to get these in. My wife was even asking about them this weekend. She doesn't fly fish yet but I am thinking trying to get her into it.

bryson likes this.
  4. rakeel

Thank you again for hosting it man. I've hosted before and it's not always easy organizing things when you got life happening around you. You did a great job organizing everything in a timely manner and we all appreciate it.

I noticed the postage on the shipping box was $7.50 and I only sent a $5 with my flies. If you want, PM your venmo or paypal and I'll send you the difference.

bryson likes this.
  5. bryson

@rakeel, thanks man! And don't sweat the extra couple bucks -- those bonus flies you sent more than make up for it!

6. crboggs

crboggs I Love microskiff.com!

I've been burning a path back and forth to the mailbox all day...just realized its freakin' Columbus Day...

7. Rick hambric

Rick hambric Well-Known Member

Same here. My secretary got smart and printed me a note then taped it to her door! Ahh the agony of bs holidays

MatthewAbbott likes this.
  8. Rick hambric

Delivery!!!! Damn these things look great! Can’t wait to get them wet!!!

Attached Files:

Backwater, MatthewAbbott and bryson like this.
  9. Rick hambric

What hook is that?? I’m gonna I list you to tie crabs for me from now on. My fingers are too fat to tie that small and especially that clean!! Good job man!!

10. crboggs

Got em! Woooot!

I've been tying small stuff for the 6wt for awhile now. I'm excited to tie a couple of the bigger flies on the 8wt. Can't wait!

bryson likes this.
  11. MatthewAbbott

MatthewAbbott Active Member

Got mine in today. The wifey came in The door waving the box around. Lol. I have a sneaky feeling her first fish on fly ( probably a bass in my dads pond) is going to come off one of these. Y'all are awesome. Thanks for letting me be apart of it.

@bryson thanks for hosting

@Rick hambric Man that's just a mustad #6. Nothing special.

bryson, crboggs and Rick hambric like this.
  12. bryson

I'd be willing to be most people's first fish on the fly (regardless of where they live) was a bass in a nearby pond! She'll be hooked -- shame someone didn't tie a gurgler, those are the best bass eats!

I hope some of y'all get to fish these flies soon! I am fishing a tournament with my wife this weekend (MBG Owners Group "fun-ament" o_O:D), so the fly rod probably won't get much use. If I can sneak back out Sunday I might be able to put these flies in front of some fish. Anyone else planning on getting out there soon?

MatthewAbbott and rakeel like this.
  13. WillW

WillW I Love microskiff.com!

My flies showed up yesterday & they turned out great. I am going to get out Sunday if I can get caught up with work.

rakeel, Rick hambric and bryson like this.
  14. rakeel

I'm fishing tomorrow. Gonna hit the marsh and see how it's been affected by Harvey. The spot I'm going to is usually pretty good in October after an early front so hopefully I'll find some fish to feed these flies to but the tides here are currently running like 1-2 ft above normal so I may be fishing in the near by cow pastures. I'm hoping the tannin has also washed out of most of the areas so I can find some decently clean water to fish.

bryson likes this.
  15. Lmhanagr

Lmhanagr Member

Flies look awesome guys, thank you all! I found some fish here in Charleston earlier this week at low tide, but fished with a buddy who is still more confident with his spinning rod, so didn't get any chances to throw any of these flies yet...but soon!

And to anyone who regularly throws a 6wt, I apologize in advance. I throw an 8, and the dumbbell eyes on my copper critter are aimed at being on a rod that size- but who knows, hopefully it'll still work out for you.

bryson and crboggs like this.
  16. crboggs

I have a permit line on my 8wt, so the heavier flies will definitely see some use if we have winds that limit my 6wt options. No worries there!

Lmhanagr and bryson like this.
  17. rakeel

Went Friday and I guess it was only appropriate for it to be incredibly foggy on Friday the 13th. Didn't burn off until about 10 or so

[​IMG]

It was high tide and we've got about an extra foot of water than normal on top of that. It had the fish spread out all over the place and they were feeding deep in the spartina grass. Picked one up early with a craft fur version of the fly I submitted.

[​IMG]

After this fish I remembered the fly swap flies and tied on the @bryson shrimp pattern. Soon after, I found a red working a section of flooded spartina in a small back lake. He was deep in the grass and would just pop out on the edge every now and then for quick shots, think whack-a-mole. I didn't want to try and station keep my boat near the shoreline and wait so I ended up anchoring a ways out and wading up to the shoreline. I followed the sounds of his crashes and slurps down the shoreline a bit until he finally gave me a decent shot in a little opening. I didn't even have to strip the fly, he popped it as soon as it hit the water. By the time I landed him I was pretty far from my boat so no pic on that one unfortunately :(.

Tide dropped out a bit and right before I was about to leave I found a pod of around 10 fish working a shoreline and moving fast away from me. I poled out in front of them and took a shot with the same purple shrimp pattern. The fly landed out in front of the pod and one of the fish surged forward and made an awesome eat. What followed was the greatest dub flub of my entire fishing career and can only be described as the fish putting some kind of Friday the 13th evil on me. I guess watching that eat just mesmerized me in such a way that I just froze for about a second and just watched the fish swim towards me. This was juuuuust enough time for the wind to blow me towards the fish and by the time I came to my senses and realized I needed to strip set, I was pulling slack and by the time I caught back up to the fish, he had realized it was not the shrimp he was looking for and I pulled the fly out of his mouth. Not my proudest moment.

crboggs, lsunoe, bryson and 2 others like this.
  18. bryson

@rakeel That's awesome!! Really glad to hear that you got 2 eats with it! I love how gold that fish is in the picture you posted, too. I don't mind the fog much, since it's only out when the wind isn't blowing! That is pretty thick though, I'm guessing it was a little touchy getting out to the bank you wanted to fish.

Don't feel too bad about the missed eat on Friday -- I went out with @Lmhanagr for a quick couple hours on Sunday and managed to smack not one but two different fish right on the head with my fly. Also, if that's your greatest dub flub of your entire career, you're doing a hell of a lot better than most! :D:D

sjrobin and rakeel like this.
  19. rakeel

Well that's the biggest dub flub I'll admit too haha. I'd also be lying if I said I've never smacked a few reds on the head with a fly.

The run to the marsh was definitely sketchy especially since I had to run down the ICW a bit to get there but once I was in the marsh I didn't worry much since most boats can't get back in there. The fog actually got worse after sun up and you're right about the wind, it was really calm most of the morning. The fog just made it hard to see anything past about 20 ft or so and I was reluctantly wishing for a little wind to blow it off. I was really having to rely on hearing crashes and pops to locate fish.

I'm not sure why, but it seems like the reds in the marsh always have that deep gold/ copper color. I guess it's what they're eating but I could go to a sand flat outside the marsh not too far from where I was and the reds would be more silvery. Our marshes are loaded with shrimp and primed and ready for some epic fall action. Just need to lose the extra water from the bull tides. A front rolled in last night that will probably help to get it right so I gotta try and get another pass from the wife to go again soon!

Lmhanagr and bryson like this.
  20. lsunoe

lsunoe Well-Known Member

Man Rachel you have to be in NOLA huh? I fished Friday and the water was crazy high. I'm hoping the front will suck some water out but we will see.