Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fly rod gurus. Recently broke the tip off an Orvis 5wt recon. Upon further inspection it looks like just the tip guide was pulled off. I didn't see a break I'm the actual rod. I called Orvis and it's covered under warranty but still costs $66 to send it in. Any advice on where to buy the tip guide and what glue to use it I decide to do it myself? Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Most fly shops have replacement tips and glue. I have done the same thing and took it there and they replaced the tip guide in no time.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I can replace a tip-top in five minutes time start to finish... Finding a shop or rodcrafter that has fly rod tip tops might take some doing though...

Whatever you do don’t use epoxy to glue it in place. Instead you want high temp heat glue (also called “ferrule cement”) since you’ll actually be able to remove it later if necessary...

An outfit like Mudhole (mudhole.com) will have the tiptops you need - but you have no idea what size if you have to order blind...

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you cant find a local place that has it, mudhole will. Two options on getting the right size. Either call orvis back and ask what tip size is on the blank, being a 5wt it is probably a 3.5 or 4 but Orvis can tell you. Second, if you have a set of calipers, measure the tip 1/4-1/2" down from the very end of the blank. Or third, you could buy a few and have a couple extra, they are $2 a piece. Tip tops are measured like cigars, in 64th, so a size 4 is 4/64th. You can also measure in mm and convert.

For the money these CRB Wire tops are very good. Get the standard loop size. CRB Wire Fly Tops - Free Shipping on Orders $49+ | MudHole.com

Here is the tip-top hot melt. CRB Tip & Ferrule Cement | mudhole.com

If you have any trouble do not hesitate to PM me and I would be happy to help.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely do it myself. Funny thing is Orvis wouldn't tell me the size. They also told me it would void the warranty. Not to concerned about that. Guess I'll start with mudhole.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Best I can tell it's 5 mm from where the old rod wrap ends. It's also hollow at the tip. Is that normal?

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Most blanks these days are hollow because of how they’re built. Some years back I would occasionally build or repair a solid glass rod... The ones I worked on were super strong and also super heavy - not fly rods at all... They were heavy boat rods meant for bottom fishing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The barrel or part of the tip top that slips over the blank tip is measured in 64ths. I would guess that is 4.5/64 (1.8 mm) or 4/64 (1.6 mm) size (4.5 or 4 barrel). I would try and talk Orvis into sending you a new tip top if you have lost the old one. Otherwise use a tip top hot glue and put it back on. Cut some small slithers off the hot glue and slip them in the barrel and heat it up with a lighter and slip it back over the tip and adjust it before it cools back off. If you do not have the tip top, you will need to buy one; it should be what they call a "standard" loop or a " large" loop and then the barrel size of 4 or 4.5. You will also need the tip top hot glue. Snake Brand Standard Tip Top | MudHole.com RTTULB-S Black Pearl Recoil Tip Tops [Small Loop] | mudhole.com CRB Tip & Ferrule Cement | mudhole.com

·
Registered
480 Posts
I can't remember exactly where, but I remember buying a kit at a flyshop that had 4 or 5 tip tops and a small stick of hot melt glue. You got the tip to fit the rod, melt the glue with a lighter, roll the rod tip in the melted glue and slid the tip on. You may have to hold a little pressure if the tip tries to push back off due to air not escaping the tip when you push it on. If you happen to break a tip, you still may be able to put another tip on and keep fishing. The rod's tip action is ruined, but you may be able to finish the day.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Orvis wouldn't send me one or give me the info. I just ordered everything off of mudhole. I ordered a 3, 3.5, and a 4. The diameter of the blank appears to be about 1 mm. I may be measuring wrong. Hopefully I don't need bigger.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
483 Posts
Orvis wouldn't send me one or give me the info. I just ordered everything off of mudhole. I ordered a 3, 3.5, and a 4. The diameter of the blank appears to be about 1 mm. I may be measuring wrong. Hopefully I don't need bigger.
That's weak that Orvis wouldn't just give you the info IMO

·
I Love microskiff.com!
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree on Orvis. They have always been helpful. I still like their no questions asked warranty and flat fee. That was taking to a tech and not someone in the rod repair department. I may have been able to dig deeper.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Agree on Orvis as well. I lost a spring from the spool trigger of my Mach V, sent a note to them to see if parts were available, a part just showed up in the mail, no charge. Always have had great service from them.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Forgot to mention, for many years I've had a tip top gauge as one of my rodbuilding tools... Had it so many years that I rarely need it any more... At any rate look in Mudhole or any other rod component outfit's catalog for one. They're pretty cheap if I remember correctly, made of plastic and alternate between a set of holes to insert a rod tip into and find the size as well as a set of pins that allow you to measure any tiptop by inserting the right size pin into it....

For someone needing a tiptop I'd also advise that no matter what the gauge indicates buy three tops, one under, one oversize, and the one you think is the right size... They're cheap enough that it's better to spend an extra buck than to place an order, wait a week, and find out that the "right size" is just a bit small or too large...

Be careful about repairing rods since the next thing after that is building them - and that's addictive... Built my first rod in 1971 and I've been at it ever since...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Capt. I used the guide Stormy posted and bought a couple different sizes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts