Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Fly-By-Night
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the throwers at Delta have destroyed another bag (Rolling Duffel). I am looking for a large rolling duffel bag that will accommodate fly gear, 2 9' 4pc rods minimum. Need to have divider between top and bottom. Currently considering the Simms https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/gear/bags/bounty-hunter-100-roller
Fishpond https://fishpondusa.com/product/detail/grand-teton-rolling-luggage/2647
WhOrvis http://www.orvis.com/p/safe-passage-vent-rolling-duffle/14zr
Eddie Bauer http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/expedition-drop-bottom-rolling-duffel---extra-large/82302251?showProducts=&color=600&sizetype=&size=

I think any of these would fit the bill, I have had great experiences with Eddie Bauer and Simms in the past. Any of you guys fly often that have experience with any of these? Opinions and alternatives welcome. Would I even be better off buying a different bag and then just carrying on a couple rods/reels in a travel case? I really hate carrying on anything, prefer to check, but I'm all ears.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Fishpond stuff is very good. Have used a yellowstone duffle for years. I do not and will not have a rolling duffle. With the weight restrictions on so many places now I just can't afford to have so much of the weight taken up with the luggage itself. What I do now is to get a multi rod carrier (Clear Creek makes several) that can carry 4 (or more) rods in a single case. Then put that in the bottom of a large gear bag (Patagonia black hole duffle). All my fishing gear goes in there. I use my fishing bag as my carry on for must have meds and cameras. I no longer worry about my gear getting delayed. I ALWAYS travel a full day (at least) earlier than necessary to allow for missed flights. Once I went this route I have never had a problem.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,104 Posts
Use to travel 2-3 weeks a month for work and had a fishpond rodeo duffel the original model. It lasted about 2-3 years and had prolly over 100 flights on it. The zippers started giving way and coming unraveled.

I found the newer model rodeo bag on close out and picked it up without hesitation. They made it a little wider and fixed a few of my previous gripes. They did take a little of the length out which makes it a little tougher to get 4 piece rod into it and made it a little heavier.

With these larger fishpond bags you can carry and impressive amount of gear. It you have to be careful of exceeding your 50lb limit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I travel extensively for both work and fishing and use the the Simms one listed above. I have been blown away by the quality/durability, and all the cool features this bag offers. I highly recommend it, well worth worth the money and you can pack a TON of stuff in it.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I like to carry my rods and reels on; less worried about delays and more worried about it getting stolen/broken but maybe that's just me
I used to do this as well and its not a bad plan. And if I am flying only in the US I still do. But there are a lot of places now (Argentina for example) where you are not allowed to carry on ANY fishing tackle. So when anybody is planning tavel make sure you check the latest "rules' for where you are travelling AND the airlines you are flying on. And remember this. There are lots of folks along the way who can decide to not let you carry on something even if its specifically allowed in their "rules". So if you are going to carry on fishing gear make sure you get to airports plenty early to get all checked in just in case their is some hiccup and you have to go back and check something.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My situation will be 95% domestic, and the travel will be mostly for work rather than specifically for fish, but I do want to be able to carry a couple rods and smallish fly boxes with me. I try to take every opportunity to fish new water when I can. I also end up traveling to the same locations some so I get to hit areas I know as well.

@ifsteve how do you handle your boots and waders? This was what had me leaning toward the drop bottom duffels. I was rolling these up in a sea/summit bag and checking separately but would like to only have one checked bag and just carry on my laptop bag. I get to check my first bag free if that makes any difference in the advice.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
LH

When I travel to a place where I need waders then I use my Fishpond Yellowstone duffle. It has the seperate wader/boot section in the bottom.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I like the Fishpond that you posted, as it meets a little known and not always enforced rule ... the combine linear dimensions of L+W+D must be 62" inches or less. The Orvis does as well, but the Bauer does exceed this.

All of then take 10+lbs off your carry limit.

I have actually made a set of 5pc rods that I can get into regular luggage, such as
* James Green 3wt - short 4pc
* Winston BL5 5wt - 5pc
* CTS Custom 7wt - 5pc
* Winston BL5 9wt - 5pc

I also will carry-on the traditional 4pc, such as a Meridan 8wt or travel spey rods, in your 34" carrier (Abel). I am also prepared to expect this to refused and then check-in. One case in 10 years, was the transfer at Tokyo Haneda to Obhiro Hokkaido.

I have also used hockey bags and a duffel (no wheels), so my weight is <5lbs, with the rods in a solid carrier in it.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,162 Posts
I used to travel with my rods a lot. Both in country and out. I used a large diameter PVC tube with a screw on cap. I put my rods in socks and carry my reels on board. Never had any problems.
Now my family uses a commercial made expanding tube case
I still have the PVC tube, I put a Handel on it

·
Registered
287 Posts
i usually use a conventional check bag, and carry on a cheap military type backpack, that has all kinds of loops and clips to allow me to clip fly rod tubes on the outside.

Im sure a dedicated fly fishing bag would be more convenient, but sometimes Im proud of my cheap solutions lol.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,401 Posts
i usually use a conventional check bag, and carry on a cheap military type backpack, that has all kinds of loops and clips to allow me to clip fly rod tubes on the outside.

Im sure a dedicated fly fishing bag would be more convenient, but sometimes Im proud of my cheap solutions lol.
Same here. I usually zip-tie two 4pc rod tubes together and then strap them to a back pack.
I consider it my "personal bag" and they will have to pry it out of my leathery sunburned hands if they think I'm about to give it up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Whiskey angler
If you travel internationally.... if they say no to the fishing equipment you will not get on the plane. Why argue...the rest of us are in line behind you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm not doubting your experience at all, but I can attest to flying into the British Virgin Islands with a fly rod in hand. May be an isolated case though, because you have to land the big jet in the US Virgin Islands, and take a little plane to the BVI.

edit, tried to quote fly junkie, seemed to have messed that up apparently.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I carry a backpack with a change of clothes, any meds needed and my reels. I have used a simms or sage zippered tube to carry up to 8 rods as carry on as well. All other items including flies, clothes, hooks....etc goes checked. I have been very lucky to travel many places and the only incident I had was coming back from Brazil one time in '07 they would not let me board with my rods... or finger nail clipper. Thankfully I could go with my reels and everything did arrive safely on the other side.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,401 Posts
Whiskey angler
If you travel internationally.... if they say no to the fishing equipment you will not get on the plane. Why argue...the rest of us are in line behind you.
I was kidding around. I'm not about to get in a jiu-jitsu match with the airport cops over my carry-on, but I've never had trouble traveling with my rods as described above.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts