Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys do for fly organization? I have all of my flies in two big cliffs suitcase boxes but it kind of sucks, seems like Im always opening a hatch to get them and Im trying to be quiet and it takes to long and anyway what are you guys doin?

Reactions: Ricky Wolbert

·
Registered
470 Posts
I usually carry 3-4 Small Plano type clear boxes, the ones that are roughly 4” x 9” x 1” and run just a few bucks at Academy. The little internal tabs can be repositioned for longer or shorter patterns. The flies just rest in the box, different types get different slots. I have a baitfish box or two, then a couple of boxes for crustaceans types. On boats, I put the boxes in a dry William Joseph case if there’s room for that. That case has leader material and anything else that I might need.

I’ll put a couple of small 3”x3”x 1” plastic clam shell boxes with a few flies of the day in each. Those go in a pants or shirt pocket. Usually, I just work off those little boxes and don’t have to go to the bigger Plano boxes.

·
Registered
470 Posts
CE2481C3-9803-4067-8C33-788D5564382E.jpeg
279C301D-169F-4DF1-BF5E-C37FC1BD874D.jpeg
2873D5F1-EBCE-4483-91CC-634E152CCE93.jpeg

The little clam shell goes in a pocket. The plastic Plano box stays on the boat or kayak. The William Joseph case goes on the boat if there’s room.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,066 Posts
I use Plano boxes mostly even though I have some wooden boxes with foam in them
I try to keep each box for a specific fish species. Red Fish, Tarpon, Grass Carp

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
I usually carry 3-4 Small Plano type clear boxes, the ones that are roughly 4” x 9” x 1” and run just a few bucks at Academy. The little internal tabs can be repositioned for longer or shorter patterns. The flies just rest in the box, different types get different slots. I have a baitfish box or two, then a couple of boxes for crustaceans types. On boats, I put the boxes in a dry William Joseph case if there’s room for that. That case has leader material and anything else that I might need.

I’ll put a couple of small 3”x3”x 1” plastic clam shell boxes with a few flies of the day in each. Those go in a pants or shirt pocket. Usually, I just work off those little boxes and don’t have to go to the bigger Plano boxes.
This ^^^

I never really like those larger Cliff style boxes, except for one "Poon Food" box.

Mostly, I figure out what I'm planning and going out for that day, then just take 2-4 small boxes and fit them in a hip pack. When I'm pulling up to a spot in the skiff, I'll pull out the hip pack from a storage compartment and set it on the console or cooler. Not only does the hip pack can stow 3-4 small boxes, it also has small tools, tippet and leader which I can use in a pinch. So the soft hip pack doesn't clank around and since the small boxes are clear, I can see which one to pull out and where is the specific genre of flies are, so I can quickly pick one out. If I want to pin the skiff and sneak out to the fish, then I can grab my wading booties, grabs and secure the hip pak and ease out to the area I want to fish.

Ted-Haas-Caribbean-Fly-Boxes.jpg

Here is what I can fit in my hip pack. 2 - Planto 6 x 3.5" boxes, one small double sided clam shell type box and a another small fly box.

I just picked up a couple of these 6 x 4 dbl sided clear clam shell boxes from BPS and I can prolly get away with only 2 of these for a trip. You really can jam a bunch of flies in these boxes if you want to. But I still need at least one Planto for flies with weed guards.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/white-river-fly-shop-riseform-double-sided-clear-fly-boxes

Also, one other thing, I have a Walmart plastic basket that I can set the hip pak in, plus a couple of other fly boxes (just "in-case"), a de-hooker, a few spools of FC bite leader, a spool of tippet, pare of cutter (nail clippers or something, surgical needle plies, a buff, etc... Then that is what I set on the cooler. When I go to crank up the outboard, I stow it in a compartment and run to the spot. Then pull it back out, set it up on the cooler again and start fishing.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilit...anizer-Basket-White-6-Pack-16248006/956301953

or.....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Medium-Stacking-Basket-White/39804128

These things are great to carry your small gear to and from the boat when loading and unloading it. Also easy to stow in the house when home. They also help organize the small stuff in your skiff's storage compartments and if you have the room, they are stackable.

IF.... your storage compartment is not so dry, or you fish in rough water or in wet weather, then you can just get a water tight bin with a lid and keep it that way. Then pull it out when you fish.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ziploc-16-Quart-4-Gallon-WeatherShield-Storage-Box-Clear/38345581

No matter what you use (heck, I'll even use a plain 5 gal bucket at times to stow everything), it's good to have that because you have everything you need right there in one place.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have a bigger style fly box that I keep a wide variety of flies in, but then I have a few smaller boxes that have more specific stuff in (flood tide box, low tide box, dock light box, etc.). I usually stow the big box in the front and just keep the small box available. Although more and more lately I’ve just been throwing a couple flies from my tying bench into my pocket and skipping boxes all together.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This ^^^

No matter what you use (heck, I'll even use a plain 5 gal bucket at times to stow everything), it's good to have that because you have everything you need right there in one place.
See when I see that I am like, I need to change things up, to much in the moment and more preplanning needed! I went out with @lemaymiami and he has leaders tied to everything and I was like wow, my organization needs a step up!

Reactions: Backwater

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Not everything- just the bugs we’re probably going to use... Because I tied and delivered flies to shops in plastic sleeves I’ve gotten used having most of my flies in those same sleeves (both with and without leaders ready for quick changes).

It’s also very handy to have a few of those sleeves in my shirt pocket when I’m poling. That way I can change out a pattern or just a fly while I’m still up on the platform...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,525 Posts
Timely thread. I just organized my fly boxes after my son and I had a tying fest. I have a large MFC double sided case for my shrimp and crab patterns and associated smaller flies, I have a cliff bugger box for larger baitfish, topwaters, and kwans/sliders. I’ll put both on the boat and if I need, I have a small pocket sized box I use for wading. I try not to tie a bunch of flies until I start getting a little thin in my boxes so I’m replenishing not overstocking.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I carry my tarpon flies in the largest Cliffs. One has light and one has dark flies. I hate that those boxes have those ridiculous handles on them and take up room in the tackle bag.

I use the large planos for redfish and snook. One box is crustaceans/tans and browns the other is light colors and most bait fish patterns. I do keep them in sleeves though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts