Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
for a new build what's your preference? are the toe rails available somewhere?
Sc, toe rails were ineffective on my Curlew. A pop up trash bag receptacle with a wet towel in the bottom works up to 15-18 mph wind, then fails as not stiff enough. Easy to stow away on your skiff though, and at that wind speed you may need to anchor up or deploy a wind sock as boat drift speed tends to overrun your ability to strip fast and fish. Rigid wastebasket type receptacles work well for some. The height is critical as too short is harder to hit with stripped line and too tall can kill your hookset. I have been stripping line off into the cockpit which works up to 10-12 mph, then fails as the bow in the line catches sail and begins to be blown into the water. A tarpon spider or similar built-in stripping basket around your front casting platform can work well enough if it fits you, but $$$ and do limit top speed some due to drag. Had a nice one but tired of looking at it or around it. It would behove you to test thes various methods on the water before plunking down hard earned money. Might help to establish your fishable comfort zone wind speed on your local waters.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
I think toe rails are more for keeping people from walking off the bow deck because they feel it without looking down. I’m not worried about looks, function over form but I did buy clear Carbon Marine spikes and I’m making removeable rails with the spikes coming through holes and they will bolt to the existing toe rails with recessed hardware so I can remove them when using my boat cover or for non fly fishing trips.
I also have the collapsible leaf bag, belt stripping basket and Dridek mat with spikes for behind the casting platform. I figure I can cover all bases depending on conditions and what my client wants to use.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,527 Posts
The spikes on the bow work remarkably well but I think they look silly. A good mat works well but you have to kinda throw you line down to it in any breeze. Can’t beat it for ease of storage though. Personally, I prefer a line bucket. I spent the coin for a 30” tall 14” diameter line hut from Carbon Marine. I keep it on the platform with me while casting and can easily reposition it. It can be a space hog on the boat though.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The spikes on the bow work remarkably well but I think they look silly. A good mat works well but you have to kinda throw you line down to it in any breeze. Can’t beat it for ease of storage though. Personally, I prefer a line bucket. I spent the coin for a 30” tall 14” diameter line hut from Carbon Marine. I keep it on the platform with me while casting and can easily reposition it. It can be a space hog on the boat though.
Thank you Jay these are all great points, I’ve never tried the bucket but have/tried everything else, And I agree, I’m leaning towards the bucket just to have the line stripped out rod sitting in there ready for a quick shot, I’d like to hear everybody’s opinion though thus the point of the thread, And by the time you try them all you’re about a grand in

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think toe rails are more for keeping people from walking off the bow deck because they feel it without looking down. I’m not worried about looks, function over form but I did buy clear Carbon Marine spikes and I’m making removeable rails with the spikes coming through holes and they will bolt to the existing toe rails with recessed hardware so I can remove them when using my boat cover or for non fly fishing trips.
I also have the collapsible leaf bag, belt stripping basket and Dridek mat with spikes for behind the casting platform. I figure I can cover all bases depending on conditions and what my client wants to use.
Smack great idea here, let us know how it works out

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sc, toe rails were ineffective on my Curlew. A pop up trash bag receptacle with a wet towel in the bottom works up to 15-18 mph wind, then fails as not stiff enough. Easy to stow away on your skiff though, and at that wind speed you may need to anchor up or deploy a wind sock as boat drift speed tends to overrun your ability to strip fast and fish. Rigid wastebasket type receptacles work well for some. The height is critical as too short is harder to hit with stripped line and too tall can kill your hookset. I have been stripping line off into the cockpit which works up to 10-12 mph, then fails as the bow in the line catches sail and begins to be blown into the water. A tarpon spider or similar built-in stripping basket around your front casting platform can work well enough if it fits you, but $$$ and do limit top speed some due to drag. Had a nice one but tired of looking at it or around it. It would behove you to test thes various methods on the water before plunking down hard earned money. Might help to establish your fishable comfort zone wind speed on your local waters.
Seymour thank you for responding and with a thorough response at that, all points taken, I never thought about the visibility of the tarpon cage thank you for that, those are pricey

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thank you Jay these are all great points, I’ve never tried the bucket but have/tried everything else, And I agree, I’m leaning towards the bucket just to have the line stripped out rod sitting in there ready for a quick shot, I’d like to hear everybody’s opinion though thus the point of the thread, And by the time you try them all you’re about a grand in
This is why I use the bucket 99.9% percent of the time, no matter the wind conditions. IMO there's no substitute for it, and I have a hard time believing that people fly fish on a skiff without one!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Me too. I am bucket all the way. I have gotten so adept at using it, I kick myself when I forget to load it in the boat.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have the spikes around the bow, very effective regardless of aesthetic preferences. Had tow rails and removed them; filled the holes and covered them with the spikes.

Also use the carbon marine 30” stripping bucket while solo...it has been a game changer in my ability to fly fish while by myself!

·
Registered
377 Posts
You can get foam sheets at Hobby Lobby and make your own fly line bow spikes for pennies on the dollar. Cut them glue them together and attach them with Silicone to your deck. When they wear out or get messed up just replace them. They will last a few outings. Way cheaper than what you can buy and don't hurt when you step on them. Also as mentioned earlier these pop up trash cans.
Bucket.JPG

·
Registered
403 Posts
I haven’t been on a boat with them, but I’ve heard that the spikes on the boat work really well. I’m not a huge fan of their appearance. I use nothing in light breeze, mat in medium wind and a bucket for anything above that. Strip and feed buckets are expensive, but they’re strong enough to sit on when you’re waiting for tarpon to swim.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,509 Posts
Toe rails are for just that...your toes IMHO.

The spikes work great if you don't use a boat cover, which can mash them down.

I use a combination of a Carbon Marine mat or a collapsible leaf bag depending on conditions and which skiff I am on. I am NOT a fan of the hard plastic / rigid stripping buckets since they take up too much room on the skiff when you are moving from place to place...

G

·
Toe rails are for just that...your toes IMHO.

The spikes work great if you don't use a boat cover, which can mash them down.

I use a combination of a Carbon Marine mat or a collapsible leaf bag depending on conditions and which skiff I am on. I am NOT a fan of the hard plastic / rigid stripping buckets since they take up too much room on the skiff when you are moving from place to place...
I use a rigid stripping basket but a friend uses a collapsible leaf bag and loves the weight [lack of] and the fact that it can be stowed rather easily. The only drawback that I ever see with the leaf bag is that it's so light that it blows around the bow if you don't weigh it down a bit.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I haven’t been on a boat with them, but I’ve heard that the spikes on the boat work really well. I’m not a huge fan of their appearance. I use nothing in light breeze, mat in medium wind and a bucket for anything above that. Strip and feed buckets are expensive, but they’re strong enough to sit on when you’re waiting for tarpon to swim.
Do you know where to find the strip and feed bucket? Other than the carbon marine one

1 - 20 of 59 Posts