Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Fly line management on skiff

2054 Views 37 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  Rich11111
What’s everyone’s suggestions for fly line management for skiffs ? Line mats, stripping bucket, belts , spikes ? I’m still learning to fly fish and so far the wine has been very frustrating, the mats coupled with spikes on deck seem to be a decent route. I don’t think I’ll strip into a basket everytime so it seems it may not be the best bet?

Not sure that’s why I’m asking everyone’s suggestions
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
378 Posts
Strip into the cockpit. I also put 4in strips of seadeck on the bow as a toerail. This helps on all but the very windy days and when my toe hits the sea deck I know I've creeped too far forward and need to back up before I go swimming.

· Registered
739 Posts
Captain Lemay says it for fishing on the bow. When I am poling a fly guy on my bow I put the trolling motor down pointed at 12 to help keep the line away from the stored TM. Also helps when I have to cross over to another area and remain on the platform instead of unnecessary poling. If fishing alone on the platform I place my bucket beneath to hold rod and line.

· Registered
346 Posts
I have tried stripping in the cockpit, mats both round and rectangular but found that a stripping bucket is the best option for me. If its really windy the mat doesn’t work that well depending on how large your bow area is. I have an actual micro skiff and usually fish alone. I can keep the fly rod with line out in the bucket ready to cast. It takes some practice and there is a learning curve but once you master solo fly fishing it’s just you and the fish. I caught this fish without leaving the skiff but got in the water to get a photo with the skiff in the background. Most of the time I can manage to catch them without getting out of the skiff. Also when I want to move, I just put the fly rod in the bucket and drop the bucket down into the cockpit and I’m ready to run to my next spot without having to put anything away.
Sky Water Cloud Fisherman Fish

· I Love microskiff.com!
2,745 Posts
When fly casting windy conditions remove the casting platform. Helps keep the line low on mats or spikes. Good casters learn to manage their line well most of the time no matter the wind

· I Love microskiff.com!
Egret 189
119 Posts
when i used to fly fish , i would take 2 beach towels and get them soaking wet
i would throw one over the trolling motor so the line would not get tangled there
and the other I would spread on the front deck and strip the line on it, it held the line fine most times.

· I Love microskiff.com!
Egret 189
119 Posts
I have tried stripping in the cockpit, mats both round and rectangular but found that a stripping bucket is the best option for me. If its really windy the mat doesn’t work that well depending on how large your bow area is. I have an actual micro skiff and usually fish alone. I can keep the fly rod with line out in the bucket ready to cast. It takes some practice and there is a learning curve but once you master solo fly fishing it’s just you and the fish. I caught this fish without leaving the skiff but got in the water to get a photo with the skiff in the background. Most of the time I can manage to catch them without getting out of the skiff. Also when I want to move, I just put the fly rod in the bucket and drop the bucket down into the cockpit and I’m ready to run to my next spot without having to put anything away. View attachment 224538
love that platform !

· Registered
479 Posts
As you have seen we all have differing opinions depending on our fishing style, the environment we fish in, and size of boats/decks we fish out of. My best suggestion is to have an open mind and read all of the reason people have given why they use the system they do. THEN, go fishing with different people and different setups and decide what works best for you. Even in my small group of friends, some skiffs use baskets, and some do not.

No system is perfect for all situations and there are trade-offs with each one.

Personally, I prefer the open deck with spikes along the perimeter of the bow and mostly strip line into the cockpit.

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
18,803 Posts
Gee, thanks. :rolleyes:

So, I looked up silicone and found that it can have specific gravity from 0.76 to 1.5, versus seawater of 1.026. So it depends on what silicone was used as to whether it floats or sinks. One could also cast in some air pockets to help it float. Still curious whether the actual matt floats or sinks.
Instead of looking all that up why not go to the Texas Fly Caster site I mentioned in post #3 and contact the guy that makes them? He’s a member here but not real active.

@ShannonD do your spike mats float, do you add air pockets or a self inflating PFD so they don’t sink into abyss never to be seen again?
Mine stay on the deck or in the hatch, never threw them in the water to find out but they are pure silicone so I’d have to guess they would sink. They won’t blow off the deck and are hard to even slide. You have to peel them off by the corner to reposition them.

· Registered
722 Posts
May be a little late but the Texas Fly Caster’s rectangular mats work well. I use two of them, one on my stripping side and one over the bulk head. When it’s too windy to cast off my platform I stand in front of it (best I can) and lay his circular mat on my platform. This shortens the distance from my stripping hand to the mat. Line management is a constant struggle!!

· Registered
1,206 Posts
May be a little late but the Texas Fly Caster’s rectangular mats work well. I use two of them, one on my stripping side and one over the bulk head. When it’s too windy to cast off my platform I stand in front of it (best I can) and lay his circular mat on my platform. This shortens the distance from my stripping hand to the mat. Line management is a constant struggle!!
This is the best method I have found and I have used baskets, buckets of all sizes and mats of all sizes. Windy equals one on edge for striping hand and one edge of front bulkhead with no platform at all. Imo

21 - 38 of 38 Posts