Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a little help with fly line choice, right now I’m using rio avid saltwater line, but I’m looking to get some new line for a new 8 wt I will be getting after the Holliday’s. I’ve been fly fishing for 6-7 months now would consider myself an intermediate caster. Just looking for a good overall fly line, to be used year round I live in SE Georgia so we can get cold in the winter, thank you guys for the help!!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1820 Action Craft
791 Posts
If you provide the rod you will be putting it on, someone in this group will be able to offer you some advice. You are doing good, I have been casting the long rods for over 30 years and I consider myself an intermediate caster on a good day.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you provide the rod you will be putting it on, someone in this group will be able to offer you some advice. You are doing good, I have been casting the long rods for over 30 years and I consider myself an intermediate caster on a good day.
Haha well then maybe I should consider myself a beginner caster, I will be using an axiom 2

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have a Redington Predator rod with Behemoth reel in 8wt, and I like the Rio Gold floating line. I'm using it for striper in fresh and will be using it in salt for reds as well. I cant afford specific lines for both right now. The Gold series is good stuff.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Redington Predator rod with Behemoth reel in 8wt, and I like the Rio Gold floating line. I'm using it for striper in fresh and will be using it in salt for reds as well. I cant afford specific lines for both right now. The Gold series is good stuff.
Okay good to know I really enjoy the avid saltwater I’m just wanted to see if I was missing anything not trying others haha I’m with you thought I don’t wanna buy specific lines

G

·
JT, more importantly, are you getting the fly where you want it every time? I've spent over 30 years flyfishing saltwater and couldn't tell you what kind of lines I have on my roughly dozen saltwater rods. But I do practice about 30 minutes every day casting them.

My first trip to Belize about 24 years ago, I went with a group of guys who were avid fly tiers. At the end of the day, the guides would write how many fish their client had caught that day on a chalkboard. Many days I caught more fish than the other guys. They all asked about what fly I was using, what equipment, etc. I told them I was using store-bought flies and wasn't sure what pattern or size. What enabled me to catch more fish was keeping the fly in the water, not in my fly box as I search for the perfect fly (and admired my handiwork). The second thing that enabled me to catch more fish was fly placement and that comes from lots of practice.

With rare exceptions, most saltwater fish I've caught are within 40-50 feet. That's not a real long cast and most any fly line can achieve those results. What's more important is being able to put the fly at the end of the fish that eats.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,421 Posts
Exactly Greg. If you are fortunate to fly fish frequently and use just one or two fly rods, buy the best fly lines you can afford for durability.

·
Registered
235 Posts
JT, what type of fish and what type of flies will you be casting? I like the Rio Redfish and it suits the size flies I throw. If you're looking for something for loooong leaders, small flies, and more finesse presentation, there may be something better.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys I appreciate the help! I’m targeting redfish 95% of the time. And I’m just looking for a year round general fly line. This morning I was reading about the SA mastery saltwater line which seemed to be an “all purpos line” for lack of better words. I throw your average redfish flies crab and shrimp patterns with maybe some dumbbell eyes for weigh,gurgler, slowsinking baitfish patterns

·
Registered
189 Posts
There was a recent thread about the axiom II which discussed fly lines that you might want to search. I have several Axioms on My skiff that I put in my clients hands every day. Right now I have Wulff Bermuda lines on them. A great combination. Have also used several other lines on this rod. For intermediate level casters the SA Redfish or Grand Slam are also good choices. All have heavy heads that load the rod easily. If you regularly fish for spooky fish the SA Grand Slam is a heavy lander in some anglers hands.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I recently picked up Cortland's 'Guide' line in 7wt for redfish. Normally I would throw Rio's Redfish taper but I feel like the line loses slickness very quickly. Been fishing this Cortland line a few months in warm and very cold weather and it has performed quite well.

Even picked up a nice brown in Iceland in 20degree weather!

And I guess my wife did ok too.............

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have a Axiom II and run Cortland Guide taper on it. IMO the SA Grand Slam is a good line but too heavy for the Axiom's relatively moderate action.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a Axiom II and run Cortland Guide taper on it. IMO the SA Grand Slam is a good line but too heavy for the Axiom's relatively moderate action.
Alright thanks, what about the SA mastery saltwater line. Any experience there?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I can’t emphasize enough how accurate Greg’s input above is. Whatever line you get will perform well provided you practice with it. I consider myself an ntermediate caster at best myself after 6yrs and I have found the most important thing for me is to be familiar with my rod and line. I am just starting to be able tell difference between lines, of course and even a beginner can tell difference when throwing a shooting or sinking line vs a standard floating line with a normal taper. I use rio lines because that is what I can get a deal on and they perform well for me.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,717 Posts
I’m looking for a little help with fly line choice, right now I’m using rio avid saltwater line, but I’m looking to get some new line for a new 8 wt I will be getting after the Holliday’s. I’ve been fly fishing for 6-7 months now would consider myself an intermediate caster. Just looking for a good overall fly line, to be used year round I live in SE Georgia so we can get cold in the winter, thank you guys for the help!!
I spent a weekend with Flip and Chico a few weeks ago and both are really big on Cortland High Vis line, especially for 8 wt. or 7 wt. They were using it with a TFO Mangrove 8 wt. rod.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts