Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article this morning about how AFFTA is denouncing Trump's Tarrifs because they are going to cause fly gear prices to increase. About half way through the article I was thinking to myself give me an f'n break.

The cost of gear in the fly world is already out of touch with the majority of people. I will start by saying I own a lot of gear, but I have picked the majority of it below retail. While that helps it was still expensive. So why is fly gear so disproportionately high compared to conventional gear? With rods pushing the 1k mark and the premier reels easily north of $500 the cost of fly fishing is stupid. If I can wrap my head around cost I can justify it more with reels based on the materials used, the machining used, and the smaller production scales. No matter how you look at it fly rods don't seem to have enough tech built into them to justify their cost.

I wonder what the true cost to produce a top of the line sage, Loomis or Scott rod cost. Not the cost that we can buy each component and build it ourselves but what those companies actually source the materials for. How much cost really goes into R&D for a blank? How much of that is outsourced or done on a computer program?

Anyways as I read the article I couldn't help but laugh thinking about the additional incremental cost that would get passed along to the customer. I laughed because I was thinking about the ridiculous profit margins that need to be maintained at all cost.

Here's the link to the article I read.

https://www.hatchmag.com/articles/fly-fishing-trade-group-sharply-denounces-trump/7714826

·
Registered
855 Posts
i think were all idiots for what we spend on fly gear! Haha the problem i see is the fish dont care how much we spend. I bet these companies pay less than $150 bucks to build the rods. Its a hobby so mark up is whatever someone will pay

·
Fly-By-Night
3,184 Posts
"The increase will further stifle innovation, force unfair and highly expensive production changes"

Let me translate,

"This will likely in no way, affect domestic built fly rod builders, the cost of domestically produced fly reels will probably increase due to foreign aluminum sourcing. Previously, a billet of alum to produce your avg Hatch, Nautilus, or Tibor reel would cost $5 that price is increasing 20%!!!! to $6, with the remainder of the reel cost being machining, and finish work. Unfortunately, we as consumers will be forced to bear this cost. Brace yourselves, that bargain basement price of $785 will skyrocket to $786."

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I bet these companies pay less than $150 bucks to build the rods
The materials are probably less than $50. The labor is what is so expensive. I don't buy into the R&D cost of rod building. I'll say it, I don't think it's as expensive to develop a rod as they claim.

Anyone who manufactures fishing gear in the states pays a 10% tax on the first sale of the rod as part of tax that funds wildlife management and conservation. People who build rods overseas aren't paying that tax.

·
Registered
1999 Carolina Skiff 16
1,349 Posts
Add in the cost of a "Lifetime Warranty." You don't think that replacement rods or components are free, do you?
There's nothing free, everything costs somebody something, and the consumer basically covers all costs.

·
Registered
126 Posts
"So why is fly gear so disproportionately high compared to conventional gear? With rods pushing the 1k mark and the premier reels easily north of $500 the cost of fly fishing is stupid." I think that what you describe here is, sadly, what you experience walking into a lot of fly shops. I've had 3 friends have shops that went under, and I regret that, but the racks were full of rods starting at $500 and reels starting at $300 - soemone new to the sport is going to have the same reaction you describe here. There are a lot of good rods, fine for probably 90% of us, that can be had in a price range that competes with conventional gear. It's not in the shops, it's not in the mags, so you need to know how to go find it. I'm sure a lot of it is sourced overseas and tarrifs may well impact it, but they aren't going to turn a serviceable $180 rod into a $600 rod.

·
Registered
855 Posts
The materials are probably less than $50. The labor is what is so expensive. I don't buy into the R&D cost of rod building. I'll say it, I don't think it's as expensive to develop a rod as they claim.

Anyone who manufactures fishing gear in the states pays a 10% tax on the first sale of the rod as part of tax that funds wildlife management and conservation. People who build rods overseas aren't paying that tax.
I bet your right. if anything its the ferrules that they make the blanks with that cost more than anything

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Noted that our manufacturing folks (for fishing gear) have added their chorus to the on-going complaints about our country standing up (for a change...) regarding trade issues (and with who else... China)....

You can bet that the folks on the other side of the world are betting that we're entirely too soft and just won't have the stomach to do what needs to be done.... Me, I hope they're very wrong, period.

And for the cited association... "Gee that's too bad...."

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,656 Posts
Odds are low that my comment will be approved...so here it is...

"Cry me a river. Prices on fly gear are already inflated. I own Sage, Loomis, Tibor, etc myself because I can afford to. I know I am paying a premium that's been marked up, so I don't complain until I see garbage like this. These price increases will only be transferred to the consumer if AFFTA companies refuse to adjust already astronomical margins that lead to $1000 fly rods and fly lines that now cost over $100 in some cases. The fly industry already has a pricing problem...don't blame it on the Orange Man..."

·
Lip Ripper
1,708 Posts
I hit submit on mine before i copied it but the long and short was "How are these manufacturers going to encourage us to buy local and support our local fly shop" while getting upset about an increase on tariffs on their Chinese sourced goods that can be and should be sourced domestically. I'm happy to pay a little more so they can keep their already ridiculous margins and still buy materials and pay for labor right here in the US."

·
Fly-By-Night
3,184 Posts
I hit submit on mine before i copied it but the long and short was "How are these manufacturers going to encourage us to buy local and support our local fly shop" while getting upset about an increase on tariffs on their Chinese sourced goods that can be and should be sourced domestically. I'm happy to pay a little more so they can keep their already ridiculous margins and still buy materials and pay for labor right here in the US."
Agree 100%, happy to pay slightly more for US made stuff.

Lets be honest, nobody is in this $hi! to save money. I could put way more fish in the boat with a $100 cast net.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Odds are low that my comment will be approved...so here it is...

"Cry me a river. Prices on fly gear are already inflated. I own Sage, Loomis, Tibor, etc myself because I can afford to. I know I am paying a premium that's been marked up, so I don't complain until I see garbage like this. These price increases will only be transferred to the consumer if AFFTA companies refuse to adjust already astronomical margins that lead to $1000 fly rods and fly lines that now cost over $100 in some cases. The fly industry already has a pricing problem...don't blame it on the Orange Man..."

Agreed 100% this is the last industry I want to hear whining about cost of goods.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.