Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Recently heard about fishing the tamiami trail for tarpon and snook and was wondering what flies would work back there. Anyone got any tips on what colors, and styles of flies to throw? Mainly going to be targeting the small bridges for snook tarpon and anything else that eats.

Thanks

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,262 Posts
Watch your back cast. :)

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,097 Posts
Straight into the backing...
Some might want to know how we know that. I've never fished the Tamiami Trail, but I've tested rods in an Orvis parking lot.

Reactions: crboggs

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Matthew, thanks for posting that old thread - I re-read every bit of it and had a laugh or two...

One more item that no one mentioned about the trail is that Steve Kantner guided along it for years (billed himself as the Land Captain... and guided the way a western trout guide would - from his vehicle, driving from spot to spot with anglers aboard...). I haven't read it but he did write a book about fishing from shore everywhere from Ft. Lauderdale across to Marco..... If I were really wanting a heads up on that area I'd be looking for a copy.... I don't know the title but it was published under his name....

If anyone reading this knows Steve - tell him I said Hi...

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
Hey guys,

Recently heard about fishing the tamiami trail for tarpon and snook and was wondering what flies would work back there. Anyone got any tips on what colors, and styles of flies to throw? Mainly going to be targeting the small bridges for snook tarpon and anything else that eats.

Thanks
When? Where?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Matthew, thanks for posting that old thread - I re-read every bit of it and had a laugh or two...

One more item that no one mentioned about the trail is that Steve Kantner guided along it for years (billed himself as the Land Captain... and guided the way a western trout guide would - from his vehicle, driving from spot to spot with anglers aboard...). I haven't read it but he did write a book about fishing from shore everywhere from Ft. Lauderdale across to Marco..... If I were really wanting a heads up on that area I'd be looking for a copy.... I don't know the title but it was published under his name....

This the one you’re thinking of?

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guide-Fishing-South-Florida/dp/0811712532

·
I Love microskiff.com!
607 Posts

I remember him.
And capt Bob from Marco island.

Bob was probably 80 in the 90’s and we loved him. He would roll up to spots with his clients and get out of his Cadillac in white shoes and string up a rod and start whipping on baby tarpon.
He taught us a bunch about the nooks and crannies of the trail.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
That's the one Big.... and Steve doesn't look much older either...

To get a past view of Steve - think back to the era of platform shoes and polyester pants... then see Steve showing up at the Lake Worth pier one afternoon still taking off his tie from work, striding down to the end of the pier.. for a little lure tossing at whatever... He hooks up a nice 70lb tarpon and fights it to a standstill (still in those ridiculous platform shoes - in white no less...) then walking the fish down to the shore end of the pier so he could jump down to the sand - then revive and release the fish into the surf end of things... Steve was quite the angler (and this was long before the "land captain" years...).

He was always a treat to have around.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Kanter was a well known popular ditch fishing guide a while back when peacock bass was a mystery to most and foot soldier guides were few and far between around these parts.. went by the "Land Captain". Now days they are a dime a dozen and you can't not catch a Peacock Bass.

Back years ago when my son was 11, hes 32 now, he was trying to learn to fly fish which I did not do although we were pretty good a foot soldiers or in our canoe on the local banks or and canals in South Broward with spinning gear. He had saved up his hard earned allowance and upgraded his old entry level fly rod/reel kit and purchased an Old Florida fly reel and Sage 7wt fly rod. He was actually getting pretty good at catching Peacock Bass when no-one else could with that thing.
I contacted the "Land Captain" to try and hire him to take my son fly fishing for a freshie ditch fly fishing adventure for his 12th b-day present... The guy flat out told me he did not do well with kids and basically talked himself out of a paid trip.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,655 Posts
I contacted the "Land Captain" to try and hire him to take my son fly fishing for a freshie ditch fly fishing adventure for his 12th b-day present... The guy flat out told me he did not do well with kids and basically talked himself out of a paid trip.
Well, I guess it's better than him taking your money anyway and then acting like a turd all day!

·
Registered
126 Posts
looks like Steve Kantner has a new book coming out on March 1st: "Backcountry Flies", might be worth picking it up.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I just, purchased and read, the Steve Kantner book "Ultimate Guide on Fishing South Florida on Foot", and to be honest I simply don't read much and seldom buy books...

I must say it was a pretty easy read with out a lot of BS... anyone should be able to read that book and with a little research om Google Earth should certainly be able to learn quickly how to fish the area.

Don't tie flies, but may have to start.. I may pick up that new book soon, I see it on pre-sale to be released in March.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts