Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Fly fishing Peru ?

909 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Pbertell 
#1 ·
Taking a trip in late April to Peru and trying to get some fly fishing in while I’m there.... anyone done this / any recommendations?

#2 ·
I have been to Peru twice and going again this year. My father moved to Lima a few years ago. Peru is a very big country, what part of peru will you be in?

I have not fished there, but my dad has a friend who fishes and he travels to Argentina / Chile mostly.

From what he told my dad there is trout fishing in very high mountain streams and lakes in the andes. There is also jungle fishing around Iquitos for peacock bass and the rare arapima. But this fishery is very under established and it is serious backcountry jungle with all the jungle biting bugs and diseases. In the more famous peacock areas of Brazil the water is somewhat tanic which helps with the mosquitos.

There is also some offshore bluewater stuff further north i have seem websites of.

To sum it up... i have yet to discover anything in Peru that makes me want to bring the fly rod.

But Peru is awesome.. great food, scenery, people, and surfing.

If you are down there and really want to fish i would hop a plane to bolivia or brazil for peacock or golden dorado or to chile / argentina for some of the best trout fishing on the planet.

good luck

#5 ·
I was there in March. There is a beach suburb of Lima called Miraflores the has a lot of little breaks. Just south of Lima is a bunch of breaks around Punta Hermosa. My favorite was Senoritas, a left point break. Then we also spent some time north of Trujillo at a place called Chicama, the longest left in this hemisphere. It is a left point that breaks for over a kilometer.

#6 ·
In recent years I've been getting some bookings from south america (mostly folks in the "business") even as far south as Patagonia (where guides really can put their anglers on rainbow and brown trout so big that you immediately know the fish didn't come from the good old USA....).

At any rate one starting point for anyone heading that direction is the Fly Dreamers site -flydreamers.com... Make a point of checking it out (you may have to sign up...). You'll find guides and lodges there from all over the world with an emphasis on South and Central America...

Hope this helps...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.