Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy yall, im new to the san antonio fly scene since im up here for college. with that being said i have been in search for fish willing to take a fly preferrably fish like carp or stripers or even largemouth.. i have tried breckenridge park and only seen talapia and largemouth that refuse to take flies, i tried fishing another pond to no luck. If anyone could shed some light on this subject on where to find them and what to feed them that would be awesome, im not opposed to making the drive up to san marcos or new braunfels or even kerrville, i just would like to be able to feed my addiciton while im here with some fish that pull hard.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
256 Posts
You could head to New Braunfels and fish for trout. There are several shops/outfitters along the river that can help with advice on patterns and where to fish. Since you are on the edge of the Hill Country, get a copy of “Fly Fishing the Texas Hill Country” by Kevin Hutchinson. That book will lay out all the opportunities and they are within an hour or three from you. And don’t forget you have several reservoirs around SA.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My parents live in Kerrville and I went to school in San Marcos. I fish every time I'm back for a visit. Special places include the Guadalupe River downstream from Canyon Lake (look at google for Sattler, TX). There's probably still some trout in there now. I usually fish it around Christmas and New Years when I'm home for the holidays. It's a nice spot. You can catch all kinds of pan fish and bass in the rivers around the hill country. I usually access the Guadalupe from any of the low water bridges and parks between Kerrville and Ingram. The San Marcos and Blanco Rivers are great for fishing. The Lower Colorado east of Austin is a great bass and carp fishery. A little further afield, the South Llano River has a trout stocking (not sure how long it stays cold though).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts