Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
521 - 540 of 576 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #523 ·
Henry, what do you use skiff wise? I’m from PA but fly fishing from my tracker bass boat is... well honestly problematic. Line gets caught on near everything. Seems like the carp get skittish on boat slap and boat color. Also and maybe just me but my sonar. Am I just crazy ?
I am in a LT25, would like something a bit bigger, but that's a ways off. Yeah they can get a bit skiddish with noise. A large wet towel on the deck is a great way to stop snagging of fly line. Boat positioning helps trying to stay down stream/wind (since wind blows still water) and setting up parallel with the targets course helps a lot vs intercepting. Also gliding in with the Trolling motor off is a great way to help.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #524 ·
Put this guy on some last week had a dozen or so shot connected on these two. Saw a few different feeding style of these fish and it was an awesome day. from tailing, mudding, laid up to these guys in a school cruise up and down a patch on the bank. He caught two of the three in the school. These small males I call "jackies" are an awesome thing during the pre and post spawn.
Fishing Fish Recreational fishing Recreation Fisherman
Fish Fishing Fish Carp Recreational fishing

·
Registered
53 Posts
@Chuck Thompson Put a cooler on your bow and pole your boat backwards. I assume you have a mod v aluminum tracker...this will help make the boat a little more stealth, and track better. But aluminum will spook fish, especially carp. Try swapping out your cleats for flush and/or retractable ones, or simply put duct tape on the ends to extended down to deck to prevent fly lines from tanging. Towel over trolling motor. What part of PA are you from, I am from Philly area Montgomery county. Welcome!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #530 ·
Henry, being from N.C. did you chase the cicadas at all this year? Spent a week in Martinsville area . Claytor, phillpot dam. Lots of carp and bugs but the water was a bit high.
No I missed the hatch three years ago. Most of the dry fly action I get is small black ants, slicks and various tree born hatches of flora nature.

·
Registered
53 Posts
@ wolftaco. Pittsburgh area so many rivers to run also so aluminum I think has to stay for
@ wolftaco. Pittsburgh area so many rivers to run also so aluminum I think has to stay for now
Understood, I fish a lot of from an old bass tracker since my fishing partner has one, mostly for musky tho. But I here you about having a an alluminum boat for rocky rivers. I recently moved and now I am looking to set up a river jet for fly fishing.

·
I Love Skinny Water
7,170 Posts
Understood, I fish a lot of from an old bass tracker since my fishing partner has one, mostly for musky tho. But I here you about having a an alluminum boat for rocky rivers. I recently moved and now I am looking to set up a river jet for fly fishing.
let's see that river jet when your finished. I've fished in many and they are cool to run

·
I Love Skinny Water
7,170 Posts
First I never caught a carp on fly or ever. But as soon as I am released for my doctor i will. Today I'm tying carp flies and while wraping thread the hook bent. So this got me thinking so I put a hook in the vise, EC bait hook, and tried to bend it up and it broke, so I tried an EC NT058FS streamer hook and it bent. As a last resort SL45 Gama, no problem.
Since the carp I'm going after are from 10-20 lbs. I need a hook that wont bend. So what you experienced carp fly boys do?

·
Registered
57 Posts
First I never caught a carp on fly or ever. But as soon as I am released for my doctor i will. Today I'm tying carp flies and while wraping thread the hook bent. So this got me thinking so I put a hook in the vise, EC bait hook, and tried to bend it up and it broke, so I tried an EC NT058FS streamer hook and it bent. As a last resort SL45 Gama, no problem.
Since the carp I'm going after are from 10-20 lbs. I need a hook that wont bend. So what you experienced carp fly boys do?
I like and use the carp hooks from Allen Flyfishing. They come sharp and I’ve never had one bend or break on me.

·
I Love Skinny Water
7,170 Posts
I had back surgery 2 weeks ago and about all I can do is tie flies. I am planning to go Carp fishing as soon as I can so that's what I've been tying. I've been going to YouTube on my TV and Kindle and talking to Henry Lee Flower IV for advise. Henry Cowan, a Striper/Carp guide in Atlanta like the Clouser swimming nymph so I tied some of those. Another suggested woolly buggers and after looking at videos I decided John Montana and others tied small weighted simple buggy flies, and some craw fish patterns. My Plan is to fill both boxes then I'll be ready for the rest of the year and beyond. HLFVI has been very helpful and helped keeping me sane. I have a meeting with my Dr. Thursday to see how I'm doing. I can't lift any more then 10 lb. so to go Carp fishing I'll need my grandsons to come and help me load the boat. I keep the Yeti, Electric Wench battery and 24V trolling motor in the garage till I'm ready to go fishing

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently moved to the Atlanta area from NC and have been trying to find something that compares to puppy drum and have gotten fully hooked on the carp scene. I live very close to morgan falls dam on the Chattahoochee so I have been paddling a canoe around there and finally got two fish to eat! Definitely not as big as the ones I have seen on here but they got my blood pumping pretty good. If anyone is in the area and sees a camo canoe or wants to get paddled around let me know!

521 - 540 of 576 Posts