Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all! Anyone have any experience fly fishing around Emerald Isle, NC? I may be taking a week long trip up that way around the end of April and would love to throw some feathers while I’m up there. Also if anyone knows of some good fly shops in the area that would be super helpful!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cape Lookout Fly Shop in Atlantic Beach. The only fly shop I’m familiar with in that area. It’s 30 or so minutes down the island. It’s pretty small but good people own it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My dad lives there and does really well in the sound on his kayak for reds. It must be an abundant fishery, because he sucks... lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dad lives there and does really well in the sound on his kayak for reds. It must be an abundant fishery, because he sucks... lol
😂good to know! Any idea if he’s just bat soaking channels or fishing flats or something else?

·
Registered
12 Posts
😂good to know! Any idea if he’s just bat soaking channels or fishing flats or something else?
He lives on the southern end, not too far from the public ramp. He mostly fishes down that way on the oyster beds around the islands in the sound. I'd ask him for coords, but he'd have no idea. He takes a very unsystematic approach to it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He lives on the southern end, not too far from the public ramp. He mostly fishes down that way on the oyster beds around the islands in the sound. I'd ask him for coords, but he'd have no idea. He takes a very unsystematic approach to it.
Haha makes sense. well that’s something, thank you!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
294 Posts
John Mauser on here guides out of there. I’ve fished a few times with Perry McDougald out of Emerald. Pogies is a tackle/kayak store nearby that has a decent fly tackle selection. Should be able to get on some reds in clearer water that time of year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have fished that area most of my life. A lot of good flats, mostly mud but a few grass, that hold a ton of fish. I am mostly a spin tackle guy, so not very helpful on the fly patterns during that time of year. Two convenient public boat ramps will get you to productive areas quickly, and during that time of year the wind can be pretty hit or miss so finding protected flats is key for sight fishing a lot of the time. As others have said though, if you find them during that time of year its usually in bunches and they are hungry with the water finally starting to warm back up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John Mauser on here guides out of there. I’ve fished a few times with Perry McDougald out of Emerald. Pogies is a tackle/kayak store nearby that has a decent fly tackle selection. Should be able to get on some reds in clearer water that time of year.
Sounds great thank you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have fished that area most of my life. A lot of good flats, mostly mud but a few grass, that hold a ton of fish. I am mostly a spin tackle guy, so not very helpful on the fly patterns during that time of year. Two convenient public boat ramps will get you to productive areas quickly, and during that time of year the wind can be pretty hit or miss so finding protected flats is key for sight fishing a lot of the time. As others have said though, if you find them during that time of year its usually in bunches and they are hungry with the water finally starting to warm back up.
I’ve been looking on the map for fishy looking areas and it looks like there is a bunch of marsh looking lakes and stuff south of the Bogue inlet and the more flats areas north of the inlet, would both be productive area to target?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve been looking on the map for fishy looking areas and it looks like there is a bunch of marsh looking lakes and stuff south of the Bogue inlet and the more flats areas north of the inlet, would both be productive area to target?
Yes, both can be very productive. The flats to the north near the emerald isle boat ramp that are south of the ICW can get deep at high tide, so I would fish most of those 2-3 hours before and after low. There a still a ton of fish there, but just like everywhere its hard to learn where they hold, during high tide, in a week. The flats and marsh system behind bear and browns island are also great, but some of the marshes behind browns have signs posted about unexploded ordinances and to "Keep Out". There is a marine base close, so they have those areas marked. Take what you want from that (I've seen a ton of people still fish in those areas), but still a lot of fish in that area and productive during every part of the tide cycle. Most of it is really easy to navigate and you can find a pattern of how fish are holding and moving really quickly if you pay attention.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, both can be very productive. The flats to the north near the emerald isle boat ramp that are south of the ICW can get deep at high tide, so I would fish most of those 2-3 hours before and after low. There a still a ton of fish there, but just like everywhere its hard to learn where they hold, during high tide, in a week. The flats and marsh system behind bear and browns island are also great, but some of the marshes behind browns have signs posted about unexploded ordinances and to "Keep Out". There is a marine base close, so they have those areas marked. Take what you want from that (I've seen a ton of people still fish in those areas), but still a lot of fish in that area and productive during every part of the tide cycle. Most of it is really easy to navigate and you can find a pattern of how fish are holding and moving really quickly if you pay attention.
That’s super helpful! Thank you very much! I certainly don’t need to run into any unexplored ordinances lol

·
I Love microskiff.com!
455 Posts
Please feel free to call me and pick my brain about your trip to Emerald Isle. Happy to share info.
John
910-340-4811

1 - 15 of 15 Posts