Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I’m Lee from Indianapolis. I travel to the panhandle once or twice a year. I am an avid fly fisher.

I’ll be staying on Miramar Beach the first week in October and wondered if there is any reason to bring my 8wt again.

I hope that storm in the Caribbean doesn’t fully form. It might get dicey.

I’ve fished that beach a bit but haven’t had any luck. I used white Clousers and a few crab imitations.

Thanks,

Lee
Indianapolis IN

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,537 Posts
Off the beach I sling hard and soft plastics, or soak live baits.
Get there before sunrise, done when the crowds show up.
Inside the bay there are some parks with access to wade-able sand/grass flats.
Stingray shuffle is y'er friend.
Early morning watch for the bait schools/birds and cast the edges of the activity.
Some big reds and black drum in there, expect break-offs, especially near the docks.

·
Panhandler
3,796 Posts
Fish moving back through on their way south during that time frame. Pompano Rockets in the surf, Clousers and epoxy minnows for Spanish, blues, jacks. You might also pick up some trout and reds off the beach with some bead-eye crustacean patterns. The bay will be good for trout and reds. Try some poppers at first light there.

Good luck and post up a report.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Off the beach I sling hard and soft plastics, or soak live baits.
Get there before sunrise, done when the crowds show up.
Inside the bay there are some parks with access to wade-able sand/grass flats.
Stingray shuffle is y'er friend.
Early morning watch for the bait schools/birds and cast the edges of the activity.
Some big reds and black drum in there, expect break-offs, especially near the docks.
Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fish moving back through on their way south during that time frame. Pompano Rockets in the surf, Clousers and epoxy minnows for Spanish, blues, jacks. You might also pick up some trout and reds off the beach with some bead-eye crustacean patterns. The bay will be good for trout and reds. Try some poppers at first light there.

Good luck and post up a report.
Thanks for the info.
Is there a fly shop in Destin besides Orvis?

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you're staying in Miramar head east on 98 and take 30a turnoff...go a few miles and you'll be near Stallworth Lake. If you can't find parking at Stallworth (Must get there EARLY) then travel a mile more to the East to the public access across from Stinky's Bait Shop (it's a bar that opens at 7am). You'll have shots at Pompano and Reds mostly. Clousers or any crustacean fly will work. If the wind is coming out of the North, it'll be perfect. If it's not, it'll suck LOL. As far as wading around the bay...nah. I don't think you'd enjoy that. Santa Rosa Sound is excellent for what you're looking for. As for shops, there's Orvis (great selection and right where you're staying at) and Old Florida Outfitters in Watercolor, great selection as well. I'd recommend calling Royce, a great native guide to our area that specializes in fly during the fall & winter. Fun guy to fish with. If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot me a DM.

Capt. Royce Dahnke — team Cast n' Blast Charters (teamcastnblastcharters.com)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts