Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m headed to the Charleston SC area this weekend to fish with a friend that is a dedicated bait fisherman. We typically fish the folly beach area, but have also fished the Edesto River. We have a great time bait fishing, and we usually try fly fishing for a few hours one of the days, but we have never caught anything on fly. Does anyone have any tips that might help us? To be clear, not asking for spots, just any techniques that might improve our changes of success?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've had a little luck in that area, but not as much as I like for the effort. I've used intermediate and sinking lines and everything I've caught has been on the sinker, usually with white and white/olive flies. I suppose an intermediate with a clouser would work as well, I just don't like weighted flies (no science to it, just preference). I've been told by guides that a sand flea fly just a few feet off the beach will get you reds, but it didn't work out for me. White/olive did get me some winter trout and other fish I was not familiar with.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Plenty to be caught on fly in that area. they were still tailing today but I am starting to look more at the creek systems around low tides. Find some creeks by where you will be, fish the deeper holes on the lows.
Also saw a ton of reds while poling a soft bank near a main channel at low tide today pushing shrimp.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great tips, thanks! We do typically head into the creeks for low tide, I’ll bring a sinking line and give it a try.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
At low tide I'd try to focus my attention around any oyster mounds. You can get back in creeks too, sometimes you get lucky but sometimes you strike out. Either way, it's always fun pushing back up in there and getting skinny. Mud flats will hold them occasionally, but generally if there aren't oysters in the area I don't usually see many fish.

I personally don't enjoy blind casting in our fishery, but it could result in a few trout and maybe a red or two. Never used a sinking line either so I can't comment on that. I much prefer throwing at fish that I see, and for that I want a floating line so that I can easily pick up and recast if the fish doesn't eat. Also, when you can see them moving they are usually in shallow water, and a sinking/intermediate line can get cut up on oysters if it drags along the bottom.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I should mention re:sinking lines that I do not have a boat and am not familiar enough with foot access to do much with creeks, so I'm using the sinker mostly from beaches, inlets etc. If I could get to the skinny water I'd use a floating or my BTT lost tip...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone, I’ll have to use it next year though, we had to scrub the trip due to a family issue. As usual though, this forum is always willing to help out, thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts