Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to fly fishing and really wanting to learn how to cast good consistently.. I’ve heard the best way to learn is from live instruction from a casting instructor. Any good instructors around Live Oak, FL? I fish Steinhatchee area so any around that way would work as well.

Any advice welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
938 Posts
until you find someone close to you that can help...… look up lefty kreh videos on youtube. he explains things simple and quite often if im having problems I can go back to them and quickly tune up the things im doing wrong so I don't look like a monkey hauling cabbage..... he was (in my opinion) the greatest teacher for simplifying the cast there ever was.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,936 Posts
Hey all, new to fly fishing and really wanting to learn how to cast good consistently.. I’ve heard the best way to learn is from live instruction from a casting instructor. Any good instructors around Live Oak, FL? I fish Steinhatchee area so any around that way would work as well.

There are some good guides in the Crystal River and Homosassa area that can probably help or point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
210 Posts

I do not know anyone in your area, but if you would like to start, I’d be willing to look at a 5-10 minute video of you casting. Usually I can help a lot with just some tweaking and/or simple exercises.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
The good news is that you don't have to be a great fly caster to catch fish.
For the first 20 years one could say I was at best a mediocre caster, some days pretty good, most not so good but still was able to get my fly out there. Lucky for me it was not as important back then as there was very little fishing pressure compared to the last few decades. (yes, I've been casting that long :) )

Other good news is that most fly fishermen are a pretty good lot of people and like to share, you just need to find them.

If you have the time and you can't find anything closer look here. Just over an hour away east or west...

http://mcff.club/helpful-links/florida-fly-fishing-clubs/

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not know anyone in your area, but if you would like to start, I’d be willing to look at a 5-10 minute video of you casting. Usually I can help a lot with just some tweaking and/or simple exercises.

Mike
Thank you man. I’ll shoot you a PM.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sight fishing with a flyrod has much more in common with golf than other forms of fishing.

Although you can teach yourself to do either passably well, if you are looking for consistency and real competency you will likely need expert input........not just to diagnose your faults (the easy part) but, more importantly, to give you the steps you need to practice to correct them (the hard part).

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The focus with a lot of new casters (I was the same way) is distance when it should be accuracy.

Learn to make an accurate 30- 40 foot cast and your golden in a lot of situations.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I'd offer to help but my casting isn't exactly on point. It would be like Ray Charles giving driving lessons. There's a fly shop in Ocala that could probably help though. I'm pretty sure they do free casting lessons. Flint Creek Ocala.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,509 Posts
The Joan Wulff videos are excellent as well.

Focus on accurancy out to 60-70' before you worry about trying to throw 100'.

Hell...I can't even see fish at 100' in most cases, unless we're stalking tails.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Kreh and Wulff videos helped me a ton. Would also like to add Jim Green to the line up. one of my favorite videos.

Reactions: sjrobin

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
One of the best fly casting instructors I've ever met up you way is David Lambert over in Jacksonville. He really help work out some bugs I had when I was still green and really helped me to understand the dynamics of keeping a rod tip tracking straight so you can achieve the most energy in a fly line. He also wrote a book on the subject and is a master Casting Instructor with Fly Fishing International (formerly know as IFFF) and sits on their board.
His contact info it 904-403-5525 - [email protected]

G

·
As you’re probably figuring out, most of the advice centers on developing an accurate cast. Then, once you can hit your target at 40-50 feet consistently, you can learn things like cross-body casts, using your back cast as your forward cast, casting sidearmed to reduce the effects of wind, etc.

There was another good thread about distance that you might want to check out - https://www.microskiff.com/threads/average-casting-distance.59562/page-2#post-518034

1 - 20 of 28 Posts