Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Start looking for the fish 100’ down the beach laying right up next to shore. As you walk down the beach they will swim off a bit.
Jorger, I can vouch for this and the comments from PMN000. I was there last year in early Sept. I woke up at the crack of dawn and walked down to the beach. There were reds nosed up to the beach every 10 yards. I managed to catch two decent fish before a couple of joggers ran past me on the edge. As I watched them run down the beach, I could see the wakes of fish leaving the scene as they spooked off. After that, I saw no more fish on the edge, but lots of bait. Later in the day, I fished a sink tip and shooting line and distance cast a chartreuse whistler. I caught a variety of fish including, jacks, ladys, trout and puppy reds. That evening, I found some stretches of beach with no people on them and I started seeing the reds and a few snook coming in close again. Overall, there was plenty of action for a busy beach, but the quality fish were where the people weren't.

·
Registered
14 Posts
any one have any recommendations as to where to do some wade fishing in Marco island off the beaches. Was thinking about going to tiger tail beach and the lagoon. Would appreciate the help.
Great spot. I have done really well there on the outer beach for snook and caught some nice jacks, trout and a red in the lagoon. My in-laws used to have a condo there. We are Canadians.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,339 Posts
Capt LeMay had some good advise there. Start at 1st light. I'm usually done by about an hour after sunrise. Tho you will see them after that and their eat ratios go way down. As the good capt mentioned, people in general will shut them down on the bite.

You don't have to wade at all. You are basically walking the beach quietly and you'll see them swimming along the shoreline. Small white flies that push a bit of water (shminnows and DT Specials). Lead the fish and wait till they come and then work it away from them.

Use a stripping basket. You'll thank me for that lil tip. If you can, use a clear tip or full clear intermediate line and all fluorocarbon leader system.

In the evening outgoing tides, find a spot in the pass(s) and use either a full sink line or the intermediate line you used in the morning and use darker colors. I use the same rule of thumb as when to fish in the morning, except reversed. So an hr before sunset till dark. I tend to also use sinking flies, since the passes are deep and the snook hug the bottom. A stripping basket is a must!

Ted

·
Registered
517 Posts
That’s good advice by all. I live in Naples and have been fishing the area for the last 12 years. Do exactly what’s been suggested by the previous posters and you should catch fish. When are you planning on going?? Also you can rent a kayak at Caxambas and paddle over to Dickmans island for some good beach too. Just for me though, don’t fight the fish for to long the waters warm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.