Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up fishing conventional tackle on the Combahee, New Cheeha, and Old Cheeha Rivers and always had a few spots that consistently produced fish from the time I was 14 until I graduated from college at the age of 23. After graduating I moved out west for a few years, got deep into fly fishing, and have recently moved back to the lowcountry. I haven't tried to fly fish around there very much and rarely see anyone else fly fishing, have any of y'all had luck on the fly there?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was stationed in Parris Island last year and left my wife in Tampa so I fished every single week for that whole year. Did very well all around Beaufort. Reds tailing in grass. Start at dead low and hand out on the periphery of nice grass flats. As the tide starts flooding if you stay stealthy you will definitely see reds start tailing. Also Cobia in the spring in the main rivers is a blast. The Reds aren’t too choosy about flies. Soft presentation seemed more critical. Try the flat immediately behind the rifle range - enter via Ribbon Creek on the West side of PI and the flat will be off on your. Don’t try to go in there on the week days when the range is hot. Once you see that flat find any other one that looks like it and your in business. Also you can get into speckled trout big time in the mouth of Archer Creek. Good luck. PM me as required.

Attachments

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,821 Posts
I grew up fishing conventional tackle on the Combahee, New Cheeha, and Old Cheeha Rivers and always had a few spots that consistently produced fish from the time I was 14 until I graduated from college at the age of 23. After graduating I moved out west for a few years, got deep into fly fishing, and have recently moved back to the lowcountry. I haven't tried to fly fish around there very much and rarely see anyone else fly fishing, have any of y'all had luck on the fly there?
Yeah man, where in the Lowcountry? There are a decent number of people who fly fish around here (Charleston), but I'm not too familiar with fly fishing in the Beaufort area. I would like to fish down there more often, though -- I've fished it a handful of times, and I love that it seems like maybe twice the water and half the boats. If you can find flats that hold tailing fish, I like to throw black and purple and/or lots of flash. I feel like I've had the most trouble just getting the fish to see the fly when it's head is in the mud.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah man, where in the Lowcountry? There are a decent number of people who fly fish around here (Charleston), but I'm not too familiar with fly fishing in the Beaufort area. I would like to fish down there more often, though -- I've fished it a handful of times, and I love that it seems like maybe twice the water and half the boats. If you can find flats that hold tailing fish, I like to throw black and purple and/or lots of flash. I feel like I've had the most trouble just getting the fish to see the fly when it's head is in the mud.
I live in Charleston, I know a good many people who fly fish the Wando and the Stono. The river systems I mentioned are intriguing to me for fly fishing because, like you said, “twice the water and half the boats.”

Growing up I usually had good luck spin fishing St. Helena Sound, but haven’t done much fly fishing there. Most of the time growing up I was bait fishing or blind casting grubs

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was stationed in Parris Island last year and left my wife in Tampa so I fished every single week for that whole year. Did very well all around Beaufort. Reds tailing in grass. Start at dead low and hand out on the periphery of nice grass flats. As the tide starts flooding if you stay stealthy you will definitely see reds start tailing. Also Cobia in the spring in the main rivers is a blast. The Reds aren’t too choosy about flies. Soft presentation seemed more critical. Try the flat immediately behind the rifle range - enter via Ribbon Creek on the West side of PI and the flat will be off on your. Don’t try to go in there on the week days when the range is hot. Once you see that flat find any other one that looks like it and your in business. Also you can get into speckled trout big time in the mouth of Archer Creek. Good luck. PM me as required.
Thanks for the info

1 - 6 of 6 Posts