Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know of a fly fish club in Atlanta. But I'm sure there is. I see on this site where all y'all in Florida have gatherings of like skiffs on the water somewhere on the coast.
Where this is going is my boat has been sitting for a year. My son in law bought a big offshore boat that has kept me from taking my boat to NC. I dont mind fishing alone, grass carp, but I want to use my boat.
I thought about a fly only carp tournament on one of our many big lakes
I mostly like fly fishing in saltwater but carp have changed that.
Also i dont know a lot of fly fishers in Georgia. And i don't want to hang around Gary's
When i plan a tarpon trip I have to take a non fly fisher just to get someone to go, and I'm not doing that again

·
Registered
263 Posts
I dont know of a fly fish club in Atlanta. But I'm sure there is. I see on this site where all y'all in Florida have gatherings of like skiffs on the water somewhere on the coast.
Where this is going is my boat has been sitting for a year. My son in law bought a big offshore boat that has kept me from taking my boat to NC. I dont mind fishing alone, grass carp, but I want to use my boat.
Also i dont know a lot of fly fishers in Georgia. And i don't want to hang around Gary's
When i plan a tarpon trip I have to take a non fly fisher just to get someone to go, and I'm not doing that again
Although I am not a huge trout fisherman by any means, NGTO is going to be your best point of contact for other flyfisherman in GA. Although it is technically a trout website, It really tends to be more fly fishing of any kind. Otherwise Microskiff does seem to have plenty of GA guys as well.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Also, there are lots of fly fishing tournaments around- you just have to be willing to drive some. They can be super fun and a great way to meet new people. AO does the southern striper open on lanier(plenty of skiffs there), Hardly Strictly Musky in TN, carp cup in Knoxville, Redfish tournament in Charleston

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
If the Fish Hawk in Atlanta is still up and running - they'd be a good source for fly info in north Georgia... and if all else fails look at local maps where you are for small creeks that flow through and join bigger ones. A drift down one solo might put you in small creek bass heaven. Years and years ago - just a bit west in Alabama (between Huntsville and Guntersville) those kind of places were a learning area for me and I'm pretty sure north Georgia isn't much different.... The only caveat would be to avoid any small creeks during heavy rains since they turn into flash flooding areas very quickly....

·
Registered
533 Posts
I used to live in N Georgia and that’s where I took up fly fishing. However IMHO the stocking program has gotten quite corrupt the past 10-15 years and unless you’re willing to pay upwards of $400 per day to fish private water or the e-coli infested Hooch don’t expect to catch many respectable sized trout. You’re better off traveling a bit to NC or Tennessee for good trout fishing. For the past couple of years I haven’t and probably will never again buy another trout stamp in Georgia. OK rant over. Now for some really good fly fishing the Lower Etowah and the small feeder creeks offer excellent opportunities for spotted bass and stripers. That was our main stomping grounds up there and some beautiful scenery. The best way to access the Etowah is by kayak. If you get in touch with Euharlee Creek outfitters they offer kayak rentals and shuttle service for a reasonable price. Also if you’re willing to hire a guide, Cohutta Outfitters in Cartersville is a first class operation with some great guys running things there. They also have a little side bar in the shop where you can grab a beer or glass of wine and talk fishing with folks. Hope this helps.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
738 Posts
Plenty of fly fishermen around metro Atlanta area. If you wanna do a carp tourney, get in touch with Henry Cowan. With his contacts, it will get done.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to live in N Georgia and that’s where I took up fly fishing. However IMHO the stocking program has gotten quite corrupt the past 10-15 years and unless you’re willing to pay upwards of $400 per day to fish private water or the e-coli infested Hooch don’t expect to catch many respectable sized trout. You’re better off traveling a bit to NC or Tennessee for good trout fishing. For the past couple of years I haven’t and probably will never again buy another trout stamp in Georgia. OK rant over. Now for some really good fly fishing the Lower Etowah and the small feeder creeks offer excellent opportunities for spotted bass and stripers. That was our main stomping grounds up there and some beautiful scenery. The best way to access the Etowah is by kayak. If you get in touch with Euharlee Creek outfitters they offer kayak rentals and shuttle service for a reasonable price. Also if you’re willing to hire a guide, Cohutta Outfitters in Cartersville is a first class operation with some great guys running things there. They also have a little side bar in the shop where you can grab a beer or glass of wine and talk fishing with folks. Hope this helps.
I dont trout fish anymore, been there. Once i went to Alaska or caught a bone on fly i was done with truck fish

Reactions: GaG8tor

·
Registered
533 Posts
I dont trout fish anymore, been there. Once i went to Alaska or caught a bone on fly i was done with truck fish
Caught some nice ones out in Colorado. The missus is from Missouri and we’ve fished the White out there and in Arkansas. Love fishing the smallies out there too.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I’ll agree with you there- stocked trout are not a fish I care much about, but don’t discount all of Georgia’s fisheries. Of course it sounds like you like carp, but I would definitely see about booking a day with henry cowen on the lake for stripers as well- its literally a saltwater fish.

Wild trout are awesome too, but you definitely won’t find many as big as those alaska fish, they can be a lot of fun as well, from time to time.

·
Registered
801 Posts
We need to get you a striper on the fly. Henry Cowen is the man for what he calls "sodium free stripers." Right now he spends his time chasing carp, but it won't be long 'til he's chasing stripers.
I'll second Ferrulewax about NGTO. I know it has trout in its name, but we are primarily a fishing community geared toward trout. We have members who are more warm water focused, and most are fly flingers. I fish primarily fly on Russell lake and surrounding waters.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sent they an email. Plan to go a meeting
They got back to me and the meeting is Wednesday evening. They want me to introduce myself and tell them about myself. Wonder how much time they have
The Presidents name is Greg Thurlow

Reactions: J-Dad

·
Registered
198 Posts
They got back to me and the meeting is Wednesday evening. They want me to introduce myself and tell them about myself. Wonder how much time they have
The Presidents name is Greg Thurlow
I live in Georgia on lake Allatoona. Like you, I have less interest in the local trout fishery due to being spoiled by trout fishing in the West where I grew up. I would much rather fish the salt in my skiff and catch something that pulls a little line than a stocked trout that rolls around before dying. Don't get me wrong, wild trout in a picturesgue setting are hard to beat on fly. But there is not much that compares to what I am used to around here.
On my lake, I love Striper season. I also love spring time for spotted bass, and right now it's carp and gar season. If I don't drive to the gulf for tarpon, reds or other salt species, then I fish carp. They are a great tune up for other flats fish.
I am lucky enough to live near a great fly shop (Cohutta Fishing Company) so I get plenty of opportunities to meet with other anglers. Having said all this, I love the idea of meeting other Georgia skiff owners for a fly outing. Count me in if you ever get that set up. Also, I loved your comment about not ever taking a non-flyfisher tarpon fishing again. I have been there. It doesn't go well. :confused:

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I live in Georgia on lake Allatoona. Like you, I have less interest in the local trout fishery due to being spoiled by trout fishing in the West where I grew up. I would much rather fish the salt in my skiff and catch something that pulls a little line than a stocked trout that rolls around before dying. Don't get me wrong, wild trout in a picturesgue setting are hard to beat on fly. But there is not much that compares to what I am used to around here.
On my lake, I love Striper season. I also love spring time for spotted bass, and right now it's carp and gar season. If I don't drive to the gulf for tarpon, reds or other salt species, then I fish carp. They are a great tune up for other flats fish.
I am lucky enough to live near a great fly shop (Cohutta Fishing Company) so I get plenty of opportunities to meet with other anglers. Having said all this, I love the idea of meeting other Georgia skiff owners for a fly outing. Count me in if you ever get that set up. Also, I loved your comment about not ever taking a non-flyfisher tarpon fishing again. I have been there. It doesn't go well. :confused:
Thanks man I'll keep you posted after my meeting on Wed. for Atlanta fly fishers
heard from 2 of them via email
I'd like to fish for Stripers on fly, caught a bunch on lures, also have a Gar fly I'd like to try

Reactions: Scott Kor

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh I almost forgot. We used to call Allatoona the dead sea

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’m also interested in a NGA meet up as well. I live in Suwanee not far from the Chattahoochee River and the McGinnis Ferry Boat ramp. I do not share the disdain others have expressed for the river and fish it regularly for trout and for carp. Also fish on Lake Lanier as it’s only about 20 minutes away. I also love sight fishing in the salt water and do it as often as I can.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts