Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
949 Posts
To each their own. I see flies as consumables. They serve a purpose and then are discarded when no longer serviceable with the hook recycled if possible.

Granted, not all of the flies I tie are fished within a season but I don't expect them to stay in the box for years. When it comes to Surf Candy. nothing else I have found works like 5 minute epoxy.
I've never had a fish complain about yellowing epoxy.

• Haha
Reactions: The Fin and mro

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've never had a fish complain about yellowing epoxy.
@redchaser, neither have I but it will eventually turn dark brown and the fish I am trying to imitate don't have either color in them. The off color hides the underbody so when the epoxy gets too dark, I discard them and tie more.

30 minute epoxy takes a lot longer to turn but also takes a lot longer flipping in the vise until it gels enough to put it in the rack to finish curing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've got a dozen bottles of fingernail polish I get from the dollar store.
UV, Solarez thin and medium plus Loon thick.
After trying a couple different super glues have settled on lock tight gel control.

I used to like to put epoxy over the heads on some of my streamers but around a year or so ago I ran across Liquid Fusion, uv resistant, dries clear but can take a couple hours to dry and 24 hours to "completely cure". Depending on how much you apply at a time it takes two to five minuets turning to dry enough to stop "sagging". Looks as good as epoxy but no mixing.

Top three on the right are "painted eyes" then coverd with the Fusion.
Left and bottom flys stick on 3D eyes then covered with the fusion also.

BTW, if you wonder why so many of my flies kind look funky...
could be the liquid that come from under those cork stoppers :)

Completely agree on the Liquid fusion and on the burgundy mystery liquid under the corks that I have....
I recently tried something called Liquid Stitch for covering some synthetic fiber heads to stiffen the front half of some bullet/hollow tied flies. When thinned (with water) it soaks in great and dries without any shine but stays flexible. It finishes softer than silicone and is much easier to work with. It's water-soluble before drying so the smell and clean-up keep the wife happy as well.
It does take a long time to dry so I don't think it can be used to build a clear coat on eyes or a thread head.

·
Registered
84 Posts
In the eighties my dad barrowed my rod turner.
When it came back there was a foam attachment for flies.
Only used it a few times over the years for turning flies as it's noisy and seldom tie more than one or two flies at a time that need epoxy.
MRO,

I tried a turner I made out of an old BBQ rotisserie motor. It works fine for some applications but not for Surf Candies. The second coat of epoxy will pool towards the middle as it turns. I use my bodkin to pull it where it belongs until it gels enough to remove from the vise.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts