Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
PRONOUNS: The/She/It
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you like and dislike?
Particularly interested in any issues like console height, overheating and visibility

·
Registered
344 Posts
I wouldn't worry about overheating at all. Visibility is going to depend upon a number of factors. What I recently learned is that when you cut a hole in a console the shape of your GPS/FF, and that unit eventually dies, It's a bummer to learn that the manufacturer has changed the shape and size of the unit, and nothing else fits in the hole you cut.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
575 Posts
I have flush mount now and have had them mounted on a mount in the past. Flush mount is way cleaner and looks better. However, you obviously lose the ability to swivel the unit around and look at it from the bow (which I liked). The screens these days don't seem as susceptible to glare as much as the screens of old, so I don't find myself wanting to tilt my flush mounted screen to reduce glare. That would be a deal killer for me. And like dranrab pointed out, you now have a gaping hole in your console.

Reactions: jonny

·
Registered
421 Posts
Being that we have small boats which require small consoles, space is a premium. What does your console look like? My GPS is bracket mounted to the flat part at the top of the console. I wish I had a panel mount and the top section could have a cup holder or something. Although cup holders are great for holding cups, beers, etc., they're also great for having a place to temporarily put your keys, cell phone, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do current electronics allow clear visibility with polarized sunglasses? I know my iPhone has a filter that allows better viewing when rotated 90 deg. one way vs the other. Pardon my ignorance. I’ve never used electronics for fishing.

·
Registered
2022 East Cape EVO
144 Posts
Do current electronics allow clear visibility with polarized sunglasses? I know my iPhone has a filter that allows better viewing when rotated 90 deg. one way vs the other. Pardon my ignorance. I’ve never used electronics for fishing.
Yes, newer units you can see the screen clearly with your sunglasses on.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Do current electronics allow clear visibility with polarized sunglasses? I know my iPhone has a filter that allows better viewing when rotated 45 deg. one way vs the other. Pardon my ignorance. I’ve never used electronics for fishing.
Tilt your head about 45 degrees and you nullify the polarization effect. And you can see the screen clearly. I used to trouble shoot digital circuits for decades. And we were always outside looking at screens of laptops and test sets. I had to tell all my coworkers this so they would quit constantly removing their glasses 🤓

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Being that we have small boats which require small consoles, space is a premium. What does your console look like? My GPS is bracket mounted to the flat part at the top of the console. I wish I had a panel mount and the top section could have a cup holder or something. Although cup holders are great for holding cups, beers, etc., they're also great for having a place to temporarily put your keys, cell phone, etc.
Don’t have one yet trying to dial in my design. That’s why I want to hear from you guys.
Do any of you have one that is too flat? Some I see just seem like it would be hard to see when seated. And some vertical ones make the console too tall and out of proportion on a small skiff. Trying to find a good compromise.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Don’t have one yet trying to dial in my design. That’s why I want to hear from you guys.
Do any of you have one that is too flat? Some I see just seem like it would be hard to see when seated. And some vertical ones make the console too tall and out of proportion on a small skiff. Trying to find a good compromise.
So are you adding a console to your current skiff? What skiff do you currently own?

I would try and ride on as many skiffs as possible to determine for yourself what you like/don't like in console design. Obviously from the comments above, we don't all prefer the same things.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So are you adding a console to your current skiff? What skiff do you currently own?

I would try and ride on as many skiffs as possible to determine for yourself what you like/don't like in console design. Obviously from the comments above, we don't all prefer the same things.
I’m trying feel out some things in a design to help remedy a few of the cons. I already have it laid out where I’m splitting the difference on some of these issues. Just trying to finalize my thoughts with the help of the Microskiff family. And it’s for a skiff I built.
Thanks

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,607 Posts
I wouldn't worry about overheating at all. Visibility is going to depend upon a number of factors. What I recently learned is that when you cut a hole in a console the shape of your GPS/FF, and that unit eventually dies, It's a bummer to learn that the manufacturer has changed the shape and size of the unit, and nothing else fits in the hole you cut.
I disagree with this statement. I've heard from many, and have first hand knowledge of at least one friend who had problems with a Simrad unit overheating and shutting down in the heat of a flush mounted unit. I think there may have been a thread or two on the Forum about this as well.

The other challenge with flush mounted units is access to the MFD in the event repairs or needed.

·
Registered
2019 Beavertail Mosquito
38 Posts
I had a Simrad nss9 evo3 flush mounted in the console of my mosquito & if it ran for extended time it would overheat & shut down. After it cooled awhile it would run again for awhile. I was running FMT chip. I removed it & mounted it on top with balzout mount (at the suggestion of “Loogie”) & no more problems. Much better vision also.

·
Registered
Chittum-LM Beavertail B2 Sold Aug 2021
240 Posts
On my previous boat I went from an Evinrude to a Tohatsu engine. I was concerned of the new shifter not fitting the Evinrude pattern. The installer use starboard material to fill and remount new shifter to and it looked custom. The new key also was done this way. I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for a GPS cut out if a change in GPS was needed later. A mild negative with the present GPS is steering wheel partial obstruction but this is better than the RAM mounted GPS that I had. My present boat with GPS sleeps in the garage but the prior boat slept under a canvas outside the garage and its GPS slept in my closet when not in use.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts