Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Floyd 8wt info?

15K views 57 replies 33 participants last post by  Siteseven 
#1 ·
Has anyone seen specs for the Floyd 8wt?

They have been posting a build on Instagram but there is no info on their web site.

Any idea on LOA, Power options, Draft, Speed?

#2 ·
Curious if anyone has ridden on one yet. My buddy bought a 10wt last year and didn’t realize how tippy it was before purchasing. Two men on one side will put the rub rail under water.

I’m thinking the lower gunnels will hopefully fix this, although it has the same hull design.
Looking forward to hearing more about it.

#3 ·
Curious if anyone has ridden on one yet. My buddy bought a 10wt last year and didn’t realize how tippy it was before purchasing. Two men on one side will put the rub rail under water.

I’m thinking the lower gunnels will hopefully fix this, although it has the same hull design.
Looking forward to hearing more about it.
That’s odd as I’ve been on the 10wt and for what it is I found it as stable or more so than similar skiffs from other builders. The 8wt is the same hull with lower freeboard. My guess is it will feel similar to the 10wt when moving around the boat. These are small lightweight (relatively) skiffs, stability is relative to other similar designs but far from the stability of larger flats and bay boats.

#14 ·
I’m biased as Brian is my brother and an 8wt will be my next boat…the deck/stringer grid system of the 8wt is lower than the 10wt making it more stable due to a lower cog. The 10wt is far from “tippy” imo but the 8wt is definitely even better in that regard. I drove/rode/fished briefly in the grey 8wt pictured above yesterday. Call/email Brian or Heidi if you have any questions or to schedule a demo for yourself. You will not be disappointed!

#32 · (Edited)
That’s me in the picture.
They had it in Venice,LA so I went on a afternoon demo few days ago.

BTW I’m not a guide just a regular recreational guy whose fairly new to poling skiffs but I’ve been a a decent amount in the past couple years. I have a Chaos Bonefish now and am looking to get a true poling skiff. Just so y’all know where I’m coming from.

I’ve never been on the 10wt so I can’t compare the two but I was very impressed. It’s quality built boat with a lot of thought into storage and design. The wind was fairly light so I can’t say for sure how it’d do in some serious chop but the little we had it handled great. It seems to be a soft and dry ride. It had a 60 HP and I did feel it was a little under powered. I was impressed with the skinny draft and ease of poling. It was also very quiet zero hull slap. I didn’t find it that tippy. We were both on the same side and it was pretty stable. I’m really considering starting a build. Let me know if y’all have any other questions.

I also appreciate the Floyd’s for bringing it down because we don’t get many opportunities to demo boats down here. Most boat companies seem to skip over us for some reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.