Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Floyd 8wt info?

8744 Views 56 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  pman
Has anyone seen specs for the Floyd 8wt?

They have been posting a build on Instagram but there is no info on their web site.

Any idea on LOA, Power options, Draft, Speed?
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

· Registered
Beryllium 16’ build in progress
58 Posts
Met Brian and Heidi today as well as the local owner of the 10wt at whites tackle. Great folk and they we super cool to talk to about each hull design. The fit and finish of each 10wt and 8wt were phenomenal and would happily give them the business if I was in the market for a new boat.

· Registered
1,599 Posts
It’s ironic this is up top as I am debating between a new Vengeance or a 10WT. I got to walk around the first 10WT when he built it but that was 4 years of experience ago. Prices are comparable. But I also love my Beavertail.

· waterman 16
983 Posts
I have never met the people behind ECC or Beavertail. But I've been around all of the "original HB" group of past and current builders and the MHP folks. I probably couldn't give many of those folks a glowing recommendation. IMO Brian is the guy who was in the background all along, building and perfecting and keeping his mouth shut. He is not a slick salesman; he is a serious craftsman. He can point to any characteristic of his boat and tell you why it is that way and why that is better. He and Mark Castlow are similar people. I think Brian is the kind of person you want to do business with. My $.02

· Registered
899 Posts
When running in a rough chop or boat wakes on high-traffic days, my wife has mentioned several times how much softer the ride is in our Floyd 10wt over the 2016 Hewes Redfisher 16 we had previously. The Redfisher has a 13 degree deadrise at the stern and the Floyd is 2 degree with a wide pad at the stern. The difference is the deadrise on the forward half of the hull and the sharp (almost vertical) v-entry at the bow of the Floyd. Its got a drier ride too. The 10wt and the 8wt share the same footprint at the waterline. The 8wt just has less freeboard and is slightly narrower at deck-level. Both are awesome skiffs built by Master Craftsman - Brian Floyd.

Sky Wheel Tire Boat trailer Vehicle

· Registered
1,038 Posts
When running in a rough chop or boat wakes on high-traffic days, my wife has mentioned several times how much softer the ride is in our Floyd 10wt over the 2016 Hewes Redfisher 16 we had previously. The Redfisher has a 13 degree deadrise at the stern and the Floyd is 2 degree with a wide pad at the stern. The difference is the deadrise on the forward half of the hull and the sharp (almost vertical) v-entry at the bow of the Floyd.
I immediately liked the lines of the Floyd skiff when I saw it. Look at the profile of the front entry and the whole hull when it's on the trailer. I'm no naval architect but to me, it screams Egret-like with its long waterline, lack of overhang, and flat keel from 1' short of the nose all the way to the transom.

I hate skiffs with an agressive rake and a lot of overhang. They look fast but ride like shit because there is no hull to break the chop well forward.

I would expect the Floyd to ride bigger than it is. I'm sure CM can elaborate but looks to me that it shares some of the attributes that make an Egret ride so well but with the added benefit of being quiet.

Maybe he'll make a 12wt one day.

· Registered
10 Posts
I had the opportunity to spend some time in and around the 8wt side console model at the Haddrells Point Tackle Show in Charleston this weekend. Impressive is an understatement for this skiff. Brian and Heidi are amazing and you can really tell they are passionate about the product. I’ve always been attracted to these, but hadn’t had a chance to see one in person until now. I’m planning on a sea trial in March when I’m down that way.
I think Brian nailed it with this one, and his pedigree in building boats is definitely comforting. Here are a few pics to drool over:
Automotive design Wood Flooring Automotive exterior Floor

Field house Table Hood Automotive design Floor

Automotive design Engineering Machine Font Event

Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Engineering Machine

· Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
2,178 Posts
I got to check it out last weekend -- it's a slick skiff and Brian is a great guy. Everything is well thought-out and executed, including the rigging (from what I saw). If I were in the market, the 8wt or the 10wt would probably be at the top of my list.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts