Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Floyd 8wt info?

8746 Views 56 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  pman
Has anyone seen specs for the Floyd 8wt?

They have been posting a build on Instagram but there is no info on their web site.

Any idea on LOA, Power options, Draft, Speed?
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Curious if anyone has ridden on one yet. My buddy bought a 10wt last year and didn’t realize how tippy it was before purchasing. Two men on one side will put the rub rail under water.

I’m thinking the lower gunnels will hopefully fix this, although it has the same hull design.
Looking forward to hearing more about it.

· Registered
38 Posts
Curious if anyone has ridden on one yet. My buddy bought a 10wt last year and didn’t realize how tippy it was before purchasing. Two men on one side will put the rub rail under water.

I’m thinking the lower gunnels will hopefully fix this, although it has the same hull design.
Looking forward to hearing more about it.
That’s odd as I’ve been on the 10wt and for what it is I found it as stable or more so than similar skiffs from other builders. The 8wt is the same hull with lower freeboard. My guess is it will feel similar to the 10wt when moving around the boat. These are small lightweight (relatively) skiffs, stability is relative to other similar designs but far from the stability of larger flats and bay boats.

· Registered
33 Posts
That’s odd as I’ve been on the 10wt and for what it is I found it as stable or more so than similar skiffs from other builders. The 8wt is the same hull with lower freeboard. My guess is it will feel similar to the 10wt when moving around the boat. These are small lightweight (relatively) skiffs, stability is relative to other similar designs but far from the stability of larger flats and bay boats.
We put it side by side with a Mitzi 17 and a Skimmer Skiff 16 and it was much tippier than both, maybe that's the way it's supposed to be but we didn't expect that. On the other hand.. its cut through wake and chop better than the Mitzi 17 and much better than a Skimmer 16. Downside is that the Floyd drafts a bit, we saw around 9-10 inches with two guys and gear.

· Registered
67 Posts
Curious if anyone has ridden on one yet.
The first prototype has been pulled from the mold but not yet complete. So not even Brian has been on one yet.

Any idea on LOA, Power options, Draft, Speed?
Sub 18'. Like @Catch Up said it's the same mold with less freeboard so it will shorten the LOA a touch. The other stats will come in due time once Brian finishes his first prototype. The Floyd's are very accommodating, I'm sure if you call them they would let you come check out the build in their shop. I know they have a few people sign up for one already.

· Registered
355 Posts
I would 100% take the 8wt over either of the other 2 skiffs mentioned. The skimmer has no deadrise at all so I would expect it to be more stable, and the same goes for the Mitzi. Either way if it’s a 6in draft like it’s advertised with the 60 then it’s going to be perfect for what’s it’s designed for.

· Registered
2005 Grady white 209 escape//2010 Bulls bay 151
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for posting the pictures. I really like the color(s). Looks like a Good bit less freeboard than the 10wt which should improve poling manners on windy days. its Great to see newer/smaller builders doing well and being innovative with their models.

· Registered
120 Posts
I’m biased as Brian is my brother and an 8wt will be my next boat…the deck/stringer grid system of the 8wt is lower than the 10wt making it more stable due to a lower cog. The 10wt is far from “tippy” imo but the 8wt is definitely even better in that regard. I drove/rode/fished briefly in the grey 8wt pictured above yesterday. Call/email Brian or Heidi if you have any questions or to schedule a demo for yourself. You will not be disappointed!

· Registered
188 Posts
Just a couple comments. based on what I’ve seen about the Floyd skiffs, I would be happy with either. that said, I would say that not all flats skiffs are real tippy. My 2001 Whipray is not tippy at all and still poles fine and gets skinny. But, it is also 20 + year old technology.

· Registered
418 Posts
A lot to be desired on fit and finish on Mitzi but for size and beam at water they are very stable. More stable even then my Sabine Versatile which I feel is a stable platform

1 - 20 of 57 Posts