Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of 9/4....sign of the times, I'm afraid

https://www.coastalreview.org/2019/08/southern-flounder-season-to-close-sept-4/

Because all species of flounder are managed under the same recreational regulations, the recreational season closure will apply to all flounder fishing. The recreational season will not reopen this year, as the peak recreational flounder fishing season has already passed. As a result, the estimated level of recreational harvest so far in 2019 is greater than that allowed under Amendment 2, thus reducing the expected catch reductions for this sector.

The commercial sector landings do not peak until September and October, so the current commercial harvest combined with the projected harvest during an upcoming open season is projected to equate to a slightly greater reduction than in the recreational fishery.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
I see a closed season as good for you guys in N.C. my buddy lives in Wilmington and tells me horror stories of the netters. It'll only make fishing better they should look into closing redfish and trout also for a limited time imho.

·
Registered
533 Posts
One thing I’ve always wondered and never bothered to look at. Are there length limits for commercial catches. I released two flounder the other day that we’re 11 7/8”. Stopped by the market to pick up a few crabs and there were several in there noticeably smaller than the ones I released. Sad thing that recreational anglers/ the folks who are the most conservation minded are the ones who suffer. However I am not totally opposed to closures to allow the stock to recoup but closures should apply equally.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree. But the real problem is inshore shrimp netting. The bycatch is all the food the trout, redfish, flounder, and rockfish eat. No bait. No game fish. Too bad they can’t figure out how to close that. I think NC is the only state where shrimp trawls are allowed to operate estuaries. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Shrimp boats are allowed to operate in the sounds in Georgia for a short time each year. Bait boats operate in the rivers but their impact is minimal from what I can tell. There’s usually always bait in the water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts