Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a link to the FWC article? I keep hearing about proposed changes to bag limits, but can’t seem to find any actual articles on it. I apologize if this was posted somewhere else already.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I don’t think it’s been released yet but it needs to happen in SWFL. The amount of trout we have seen and caught the last 7 or 8 months is at pre gill net ban levels.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
132 Posts
I don’t think it’s been released yet but it needs to happen in SWFL. The amount of trout we have seen and caught the last 7 or 8 months is at pre gill net ban levels.
The only changes I have heard about is the elimination of keeping one fish over 20”, where did you hear about bag limit changes? Yes I agree, the trout population has drastically declined in the last few years!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only changes I have heard about is the elimination of keeping one fish over 20”, where did you hear about bag limit changes? Yes I agree, the trout population has drastically declined in the last few years!
Saw it on another forum... here was the attached image. I can’t confirm it’s accurate.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Prior to this last red tide episode they were the fish everybody went after when nothing else was biting. They were almost a nuisance on good fishing days. Since last year, they have become difficult to find in any real numbers.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,265 Posts
Prior to this last red tide episode they were the fish everybody went after when nothing else was biting. They were almost a nuisance on good fishing days. Since last year, they have become difficult to find in any real numbers.
Guys here think a fishery can’t ever be over fished by rod and reel alone. I beg to differ.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I’ve watched it happen to my home waters within the last 15 years. I can’t wait for the limit to be lowered here.
What they need to keep in mind when making regulations is look at all species in an area. When you drop the redfish people switch to trout and so on. This is what brings a lo of pressure quickly on a species.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
What they need to keep in mind when making regulations is look at all species in an area. When you drop the redfish people switch to trout and so on. This is what brings a lo of pressure quickly on a species.
It’s a simple numbers game for my area, as far as trout go. There a far more people fishing and far more of the “meat haul” guides who book multiple trips a day.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,265 Posts
It’s a simple numbers game for my area, as far as trout go. There a far more people fishing and far more of the “meat haul” guides who book multiple trips a day.
It’s embarrassing what these guys do. If they have to rape the resource to make a living maybe they need to get a real job and just guide part time so they aren’t acting like crack heads scavenging whatever they can get.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
The main thing I see that I like is the season closure for NW zone in February. It needs to be done so folks can't roll up to the suicide hole in Steinhatchee and limit out every day of the week (which they do). Also, there's no reason to keep a trout over 20" in my opinion.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
959 Posts
I do see they are not touching the commercial guys as usual They can still keep up to 24" and up to 150 per boat per day
I'm surprised that FL still has commercial fishing for trout. As I understand it, it's illegal in Texas to catch & sell trout or reds commercially. FL is usually ahead of us when it comes to conservation efforts.

And in related news, plenty of people on the Upper Coast here are bitching & moaning about the 5-trout limit going into effect 9/1. I also heard a report recently that Louisiana is going to have a helluva fight because their speckled trout stocks have dropped so low due to over-harvest they're going to have to take drastic measure. Basically, Louisiana managed their trout limits in such a way that the surviving trout stock isn't enough to breed replacements for those taken.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's about time. Actually a bit too late. This should have happened long before the red tide. It will come a time when all sport fish will be catch and release. I personally don't keep them and try to eat sustainable stuff purchased from a good monger. Although I do keep a few speckled perch for a dinner.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts