Florida Sportsman Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SrqFlats, Feb 1, 2011.

1. SrqFlats

SrqFlats I Love microskiff.com!

I have a question for you guys. Last year I subscribed to FS magazine. It was ok, hit or miss on what I was looking for. I started to get renewal notices that I just trashed. They have kept sending the magazines even though I did not renew and had no plans to. The other day, I got a letter from a collection agency saying that I owe FS for a subscription. To me, this seems like strong arm tactics to get you to have to renew. Has this ever occurred to anyone? Is it legal? Does it hurt credit? This really pisses me off! [smiley=1-boxing1.gif] I am going to call this week and try to get it worked out. Not happy......

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Re: Florida Sportsman Magazine Subription

Never heard of this before, so I had to go looking

http://punctualityrules.com/2010/04/08/auto-renewal-notification-review/

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/Central+Station+Monitoring/the-legal-side-is-automatic-renewal-a-deceptive-business-practice

http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2007/10/25/2007-10-25_why_its_not_easy_to_end_magazine_subscri.html

After reading all that, I checked out the FS subscription page
    and buried at the bottom of the page is this notice

Sneaky method of getting you locked in ain't it?

:mad:

3. cvilt

cvilt I Love microskiff.com!

Brett, Call them and tell them if that is he way they do business you will never buy another magazine from that Org. ever etc... In Fisherman sent me a video unsolicited with a bill. They wanted it returned postage paid by me then they would refund. After being nice but firm they dropped the fee, I waited two months and cancelled.

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

From what I've read, the auto-renewal clause is common business practice.
    Not just in magazines, but in any type business requiring an annual subscription.
    You really have to watch the fine print on any on-line purchase.
    Makes me glad I gave up reading hard copy magazines when the info became available on line.
    The only mag I still get in the mail is Tide, free with my CCA membership.

5. SrqFlats

Thanks for pointing that out Brett. I didn't get a chance to call today, but I did do some sniffing around via google. The collection agency is North Shore Agency. Type that in google and see what comes up! Class action lawsuit, scam, ripoff report. Looks like these guys are pretty shady. I sent a check in for the subscription. Will call and cancel that tomorrow! :p

6. YanceyM

YanceyM I Love microskiff.com!

When I was 18 I called and ordered Girls Gone Wild. Sounds like their same deal... It was like an act of congress to get that junk to stop. You had to call a completely different number to "cancel" it. And they had this attitude like you were bothering them.

Come to think of it there's one more thing they both have in common.
    Once you've seen one of them,  you've seen all of them. Cause there's not much difference from one month to the next. Just like FS mag.  :)

7. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Magazine and forum = Cesspool :-(

Stay here and learn more ;-)

8. GTSRGTSR

GTSRGTSR Well-Known Member

Noe... if its so bad, why post over there anymore? ;)

It aint what it was but it serves a good purpose for me, anyway. :p

9. noeettica

Did you see the ruckus caused by posting this over there LOL almost 1K Hits ...

'Ol blair came out trying to defend it ...

and got blasted ...

I Do get to post trashier content over there ... [smiley=StirPotChef.gif]

10. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Watch out for shady businesses trying to look cool, prey on your hobbies, and get your money at the same time. :mad:

11. SrqFlats

Do you have a link where it was posted over there?

12. noeettica

Sure ::)

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/forum/topic/fs-mag-shame-you

13. SrqFlats

;D Haha! Thanks.......

14. SrqFlats

Check this out!

http://www.floridasportsman.com/buyerbeware.html

Important Statement for Subscribers
    Buyer Beware

Florida Sportsman has authorized several reputable companies to sell new subscriptions to Florida Sportsman and several other magazines. However, unauthorized companies purporting to represent Florida Sportsman may try to convince you to renew your subscription through letters and phone calls that claim your subscription is due to expire shortly when, in fact, it is not. Oftentimes, these unauthorized companies present renewal offers at much higher rates than our regular subscription renewal rates.

To help recognize a potentially invalid offer, familiarize yourself with your subscription expiration date by checking the mailing label on each issue of your Florida Sportsman subscription. Your subscription expiration date appears to the right of your name and address in the MYY format, for example MAY09. In addition, valid renewal mailings sent from Florida Sportsman will generally not be sent more than 6 months prior to your expiration date, and will contain a postage-paid return envelope, the Florida Sportsman official logo and a Palm Coast, FL return address.

Whether you purchase a subscription directly from Florida Sportsman or from a subscription sales company, you should always insist that the seller provide you with a written record of your transaction. If you receive an offer and are unsure of its authenticity, please contact our subscriber services department at: Florida Sportsman, Attn: Customer Care, PO Box 420235, Palm Coast FL 32142-0235 and place your order through us. Or, you can renew your subscription on our website at www.floridasportsman.com.

We thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

15. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

OMG........ I enjoyed reading that.

16. SrqFlats

Well I just got of the phone with Florida Sportsman subscription services. I asked her if they were associated with North Shore collection agency and she confirmed that any "over due" accounts are forwarded to them. She did say that it does not hurt your credit. She said that I agreed to a automatically renewing subscription. I told her I signed up for one year and that was all I wanted. She said she will cancel the issue with North Shore and send me a zero balance. I also asked her why they jacked the price for renewal to $27 and she said that was not the best rate. She said I could get one year for $13.50 or two years for $27. After all this BS, all I can say is the stack of FS are going with me to the next bonfire! ;D

17. jacksonrh64

jacksonrh64 I Love microskiff.com!

I believe the law states that if you received anything through the US mail that you didn't request (unsolicited), it's your to keep and you do not have to pay for it or send it back.  Check with your Post Office.  I just subscribed to Louisiana Sportsman now I'll go check to see if they have the same hidden clause, if they do, I am cancelling and won't do business with them again.  Another thing I hate is when you subscribe and they send you last two issues,   which usually means you now have two copies of the same issue.  Then they start sending you renewal notices before you have received your first few mags.

Jack