Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have often thought of giving the Florida Shad runs a try. (Maybe Georgia too)
Would anyone care to tell me about it?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I believe there's a couple of threads on here about that. Never fished them here, but did in MD. Great fun on a 5 or 6 wt. Used a fly that mimicked a shad dart

·
Registered
404 Posts
To be successful be sure you come with a sinking tip or sinking line. Fishing on the bottom is key over hard sand. The fish on the top are spawning for the most part and are not interested in your fly. Shad while they are in the St. John's don't really eat, a study of caught fish only found 11% with any contents in their stomachs. Shad here strike mostly out of aggravation like a salmon heading upstream to spawn. While fly fishing green shad darts are my favorite but other bright colors work well too. This video has more details:

Hope you have a fun trip and the best month is usually February and the season usually runs from January through March.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,350 Posts
Apparently you can do this in TN as well.

Skipjack shad. They call them "Tennessee Tarpon".

·
Registered
395 Posts
Amazing how far they range. We catch them in Maine in early spring- late April, early May and they arrive just before the stripers that come up from the Chesapeake and Delaware. Have caught them on the fly with small chartreuse clousers. Darts of course for spin

·
Registered
2019 Jackson Mayfly, Jackson Kilroy DT
764 Posts
Amazing how far they range. We catch them in Maine in early spring- late April, early May and they arrive just before the stripers that come up from the Chesapeake and Delaware. Have caught them on the fly with small chartreuse clousers. Darts of course for spin
We also have fairly strong shad runs on several rivers in Ca. We fish them just like Steelhead with swinging flies down and across the current.

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
shad runs on several rivers in Ca
Now and then you can get a surprise and hook up a striper.
Mom got an18 pound striper one year on the Sacramento River fishing for shad.
Fly had to just about land in its mouth as I can't see a fish that size moving much to eat a shad fly.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,549 Posts
Capt. Mark Benson has the shad dialed in on the St. Johns and tributaries.

markbensonoutdoors.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts