1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want information on Florida marine tracks

What gps units can it be used on?

What is the real world experience?

I live in SC but travel to the keys and want something to get us thru Florida bay and the glades.

When are the going to expand the data base to SC?

Thanks for info in advance

·
I Love microskiff.com!
558 Posts
Somewhat off topic but may help the OP as well. Does anyone have personal/direct experience with Florida Marine Tracks vs. Navionics Platinum Plus? Obviously not the tracks but the satellite overlay

·
Registered
517 Posts
I’ve had both. Excluding the tracks (which is priceless) the satellite imagery isn’t even comparable. The FMT chip is light years ahead of Navionics. Just look at the amount of data on an FMT chip compared to the size of area and amount of data on a Navionics Platinum chip.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Somewhat off topic but may help the OP as well. Does anyone have personal/direct experience with Florida Marine Tracks vs. Navionics Platinum Plus? Obviously not the tracks but the satellite overlay
I’ve owned both here in South Florida and the Navionics satellite view is garbage. FMT is as close as you’ll get to Google Maps detail on your chartplotter.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yep, nothing else I've ever seen comes close to the imagery on FMT. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Personal experience is fine but the video comparisons speak for themselves and would be better. All you need to do is watch. NFL was recently posted with the latest Navionics chip comparison in 3 separate hour long pieces. SFL was posted as one but is older.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
558 Posts
Ah, ok, I watched the video. It certainly looks great. How do those images show up in the full sun? I know my phone with Google Earth up can be a bit of a challenge.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
558 Posts
Lol, you are missing my point. In certain situations, there is glare on my GPS display. What I am asking is if, when there is glare and my normal map is tough to see, are the satellite images even tougher to see? On my phone, I can read/send a text just fine in the sun, but using Google Earth is tough...for instance

·
Registered
931 Posts
Thank you, I have a Balzout mount and can adjust it to about any angle possible. Will be ordering a FMT chip soon
Keep in mind it could be the screen on the unit you are running. The newer Solarmax screens in certain Simard/Lowrance models are far superior in direct sun as well as when viewing with polarized glasses.

·
Registered
156 Posts
With the nss evo3 units there is no problem with glare. The screen is super bright and clear. Now the bigger the screen the better the resolution but I have used a flush mount 7" on my skiff for a year with no issues but the 9" is much better and I can imagine the 12 would be awesome but out of my price range. For what its worth the knob on the nss is clutch. It makes zooming super easy while running. The pinching with the go series can be a pain. I run it side by side with the Navionics Platinum +. I like the FMT much better for nav purposes but when looking at an area map without having to cut the tracks off to have a less cluttered view, its nice to switch the navionics(you don't need the platinum + for this but its what I have).

·
I Love microskiff.com!
558 Posts
Very cool info. I just got a new Lowrance unit and was previously running a smaller Garmin...and had difficulty with glare.

And Twitch, unfortunately, I only have a slot for one chip at a time.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Sharp Hooks Matter
724 Posts
With the nss evo3 units there is no problem with glare. The screen is super bright and clear. Now the bigger the screen the better the resolution but I have used a flush mount 7" on my skiff for a year with no issues but the 9" is much better and I can imagine the 12 would be awesome but out of my price range. For what its worth the knob on the nss is clutch. It makes zooming super easy while running. The pinching with the go series can be a pain. I run it side by side with the Navionics Platinum +. I like the FMT much better for nav purposes but when looking at an area map without having to cut the tracks off to have a less cluttered view, its nice to switch the navionics(you don't need the platinum + for this but its what I have).
The 12" is the bomb. Fastest processor of the EVO bunch too so at high zoom levels it will update the screen faster.
Vehicle Speedboat Boat Steering wheel Room

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.