Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to see if anyone had any video or pics of FMT running on 9 inch screen.

12's are so darn expensive.

Thanks in advance

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a lowrance elite 9 a few weeks back when they were on sale at cabelas and also bought the fmt chips for the whole state and it works perfect for me. The screen size is plenty big enough and it is very detailed. I can upload a few pictures when I get home from work in a few. I used in the mosquito lagoon over the weekend and can easily see everything while running full speed through skinny water. Which unit are you looking at?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ran it on a GO 9 for a year when they came out and then an NSS 9 Evo 3 after that and am totally satisfied.

On a new boat I would go with a NSS7 Evo 3 and spend the difference on an iPad in an Otterbox

Did you notice any major advantages of the NSS over the GO. other than better screen? extra buttions?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would not want to run on a 7" unless kayak or something. The beauty of using the Simrad is the quick dial enlarge/diminish capability which is key for FMT. 9" works great for me

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,625 Posts
Did you notice any major advantages of the NSS over the GO. other than better screen? extra buttions?
Yes.

“My” GO 9 seemed to occasionally reboot for no particular reason, and having touchscreen only was hard to use in the rain.

Having the knob on the NSS to consistently and reliably zoom in/out while running is worth the extra cost. Although I must say much of the zooming is unnecessary because FMT tracks has thousands of curves that could be straight lines.

You can swap microSD cards out of an NSS easier from the front than the GO from the back. That’s not a big deal for most people but I’ve got so many tracks and waypoints that I started doing separate backups and restores for North versus South FLORIDA.

You can run an NSS on 12 or 24V, but only 12 on the GO.

I’m sure there are other advantages but these are the only ones I noticed from using both to fish the same area.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,517 Posts
I can only fit a 7" on my consloe so i have a Lowrance hook 7

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,625 Posts
95EFB3F3-81F9-4671-904B-7B921C52B753.jpeg
How would the iPad help?
You can use the Link app on an iPad to remotely operate your NSS unit via WiFi, and you can backup/restore data to iCloud, do screenshots, plan a route, mark spots, etc.

Plus you can use the iPad to take and save photos to help you remember what the rock bars looked liked at negative tides in the winter.

(Yay! Looks like they fixed the file upload problem.)

·
Registered
651 Posts
View attachment 62778

You can use the Link app on an iPad to remotely operate your NSS unit via WiFi, and you can backup/restore data to iCloud, do screenshots, plan a route, mark spots, etc.

Plus you can use the iPad to take and save photos to help you remember what the rock bars looked liked at negative tides in the winter.

(Yay! Looks like they fixed the file upload problem.)
Ok, so no on the water benefits display wise. I can’t think of any.

·
Registered
2015 HB Pro
120 Posts
Used to Love my FMT chip in my go9, but my buddy just got a Carbon 12 with the FMT chip and what a difference, definitely easier for me to see and the details are better. Guess it’s time to start saving money again lol

·
Registered
576 Posts
7" is workable, 9" is very good, 12" is dreamy.

On our previous boat we used an 7" Evo 2. We like the buttons particularly the zoom. On the new boat, we went with the Go7 for a bit but it broke and the warranty guys offered me an upgrade to the Go9 for $100. Now we run with the Go9.

·
You got to get burned to learn
431 Posts
Like everyone else says a 9 inch is fine and yes make sure you have a zoom knob. I have FMT on a GO7 and love the FMT but regret getting the GO7. It is too small and zooming in on the touch screen is a PITA.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm thinking the Simrad NSS 9 Evo3 or the Lowrance Elite Ti2 12 just have to go to West Marine and see how the zoom compares on the two. Leaning toward the Lowrance.

Never thought I would have $2300 (unit + FMT chip) into a GPS but have to pay to play.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
473 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts