Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1998 Egret C/K 167
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission approved a draft proposal on Wednesday to allow recreational harvest of 200 goliaths per year from March to May.

South Florida and the Florida Keys will be off-limits, and the size of the catch will be restricted to between 20 inches (51 centimeters) and 36 inches (91 centimeters).

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,596 Posts
What is the meat quality on those big goliaths?

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1998 Egret C/K 167
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

68B-14.0091 Recreational Goliath Grouper Harvest Permits; Goliath Grouper Tag Specifications; Harvest Reporting Requirements.

(1) No person shall harvest or land a goliath grouper from Florida Waters or possess a goliath grouper unless:
(a) Such person has been issued a recreational goliath grouper harvest permit pursuant to subsection (2);
(b) Such person has been issued a goliath grouper tag pursuant to subsection (3) and a valid goliath grouper tag is securely attached

around the lower jawbone of the goliath grouper immediately upon harvest; and,
(c) Such harvest or possession is consistent with other applicable provisions of Chapter 68B-14, F.A.C.
(2) Recreational Goliath Grouper Harvest Permits –
(a) Recreational goliath grouper harvest permits may be applied for through the Commission’s online licensing system during a

15 consecutive day period between October 1 and November 30 each year to be set by posting on the agency’s website.
1. An applicant may only submit one application for a recreational goliath grouper harvest permit during any single application

period; however an applicant may elect to apply for one or more permit category, defined as follows:
a. A “Category I” recreational goliath grouper permit is valid within all Florida Waters open to the harvest of goliath grouper as

provided by subsection 68B-14.008(1), F.A.C.
b. A “Category II” recreational goliath grouper permit is valid within all Florida Waters open to the harvest of goliath grouper as

provided by subsection 68B-14.008(1), F.A.C., excluding all waters of Everglades National Park. A person issued a Category II recreational goliath grouper harvest permit may not harvest or land a goliath grouper from Everglades National Park or possess a goliath grouper within Everglades National Park.

2. Upon application, each applicant must pay a $10 non-refundable application fee and must agree to pay a $500 permit fee for the issuance of a recreational goliath grouper perrmit should the applicant be awarded a permit. No person is exempt from paying the special use application or permit fees.

(b) Applicants for a recreational goliath grouper harvest permit shall:

1. Not have received a disposition other than aquittal or dismissal for a violation of any provision of chapters 369, 379, or 828, F.S., or of a rule of the Commission or of other similar laws or rules in this or any other jurisdiction that relate to hunting or fishing, within a period of five (5) years preceding the date of application.

2. Not have previously been issued a recreational goliath grouper harvest permit for the current application year.

3. Have timely submited required harvest reporting for any recreational goliath grouper harvest permits issued to the applicant prior to the current application year.

(c) One goliath grouper tag will be issued with each recreational goliath grouper harvest permit.
(d) A person shall not be issued more than one recreational goliath grouper harvest permit for any single harvest period. A

recreational goliath grouper harvest permit shall be valid only for the permit category and the harvest period indicated thereon. For the purpose of this rule, “harvest period” means the open harvest season established in paragraph 68B-14.0039(3)(a), F.A.C.

(f) Recreational goliath grouper harvest permits are not transferable.

(g) The Commission may not issue more than a total of 200 recreational goliath grouper harvest permits for any single harvest period. No more than 50 such permits shall be Category I recreational goliath grouper harvest permits.

(3) Goliath Grouper Tags –
(a) One goliath grouper tag will be issued with each recreational goliath grouper harvest permit issued pursuant to subsection (2). (b) A person may not be issued more than one goliath grouper tag for any single harvest period. A person may not use a goliath

grouper tag more than once.
(c) Validity of Goliath Grouper Tags –
1. A goliath grouper tag is only valid for the harvest, possession, and landing of one goliath grouper.
2. A goliath grouper tag is only valid for the recreational goliath grouper harvest permit category and the harvest period indicated

thereon.
3. A goliath grouper tag is not transferable. The sale, purchase, transfer, or exchange of a goliath grouper tag to any person other

than the original recreational goliath grouper harvest permit holder is prohibited.
(d) The Commission may not issue more than a total of 200 goliath grouper tags for any single harvest period. No more than 50

such goliath grouper tags shall be issued for Category I recreational goliath grouper harvest permits.
(e) Exceptions to Tag Requirement – The prohibition of possession of an untagged goliath grouper in paragraph (1)(b) does not

apply to a taxidermist who removes the goliath grouper tag during the process of mounting a legally harvested goliath grouper. The taxidermist shall ensure that the removed tag remains with the goliath grouper during any subsequent storage or shipment.

(4) Harvest Reporting Requirements –

(a) A person who harvests a goliath grouper under a recreational goliath grouper permit issued pursuant to subsection (2) must report such harvest and harvest data within 24 hours after harvest to the Commission’s online harvest reporting system, available at: Official Florida Fishing and Hunting Licenses | Go Outdoors Florida and through the Fish|Hunt Florida app on Apple and Android devices.

(b) A person who has been issued a recreational goliath grouper harvest permit and does not harvest a goliath grouper must report that no harvest occurred to the Commission’s harvest reporting system within 24 hours after the assigned harvest period closes.

(c) In addition to the information required in paragraph (a), a person who harvests a goliath grouper under a recreational goliath grouper harvest permit must provide a biological sample of such goliath grouper if required by the terms of the permit.

(d) Under Section 379.401(1), F.S., failure to file reports required of persons who hold recreational licenses is a non-criminal infraction.

(5) No person is exempt from the permitting or tagging requirements of this rule.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Yep, all about the $! $500.00 buys a shit load of grouper from Publix or the local fish house already to go!

·
Rex Kwan Do Dojo
2,388 Posts
Jan your original linked article says slot is 20 to 36inches? That can’t be correct...

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
FWC’s science is done by a pile of liberal college aged interns reporting to a senior biologist! The data comes from boat ramp surveys!!! What a bunch of crap, anyone want some red snapper?🤣

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yep, all about the $! $500.00 buys a shit load of grouper from Publix or the local fish house already to go!
I know damn well you’re not buying your fish at Publix!

FWC’s science is done by a pile of liberal college aged interns reporting to a senior biologist! The data comes from boat ramp surveys!!! What a bunch of crap, anyone want some red snapper?🤣
Hold on now. I’ve done a lot of research with FWC including stock assessments and it’s much more intensive than interns taking boat ramp surveys (creel surveys). It is certainly not as effective as it should be but there are a lot of hard working people passionate about the resources working within FWC. All of the decisions are made by the Governor elected board and usually consists of Lawyers, Developers, Laywers, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Reactions: Jason M

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,577 Posts
Goliath Grouper are just Grouper that got big. Used to be called Jew fish. When I was a scuba diver photographer I photographed several "Goliath". One was a big black fish. That photo appeared in the Silver Creek Calendar
I don't care to spend $500 to catch a fish just to eat it. I can catch one now for free, just can't take it out of the water kinda like Tarpon

·
I Love microskiff.com!
227 Posts
I'm a bit surprised this rule change made it this far. In the past there has been massive resistance from recreational diver (rec diver more than spearfisher) groups. This is speculation, but perhaps that was mitigated by the more narrow slot limit. I think it will be interesting to see if there is much demand for the tags.

I'm not personally involved with any of the Goliath Grouper research, but I do work with some of the folks involved. One of the challenges of understanding population trends in unharvested species like goliath is that we just have little data. Most of what we know about stocks is from understanding how the populations appear to respond to the what gets removed. So if you don't harvest fish, that's a big, valuable piece of information that is no longer available for assessments. What I do not know at all is how much information they'll get from this--and how long it will take for them to see if there's an effect. I can ask and see what type of modeling was done on that end, or if they just wanted to try to establish a baseline of demand.
If i learn something worth sharing, I'll do my best to relay it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts