Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there more issues, building a glass boat, in the winter vs the summer ?
Curing, mold popping, etc.

·
BBA Counselor
7,335 Posts
Yes, any temp below 65 and you don’t want to be pouring resin. 75-80 is about perfect temp for glassing. When it's cold you are more likely to not set, or if it does it might blush if epoxy.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I've used slow cure epoxy in the 50s. It took days to cure, but it did cure. If you are using poly then things get a little easier. Our shop had summer mixes and winter mixes.

Reactions: fattypoon

·
Registered
316 Posts
I built a Sam Devlin design Duck boat in Port Angeles, WA in the winter in an unheated shop in about 1995 and used System 3 epoxy. I connected two 8 ft 2x4s end to end and hung them from the rafters with ropes & pulleys and mounted 6 heat lamps evenly spaced on them.

I'd lower them to about 6 ft or so (shop had a 14 ft open rafter ceiling) while working on the boat - to keep myself warm, then lower them to 3 or 4 ft (can't remember - it was 25 years ago) and leave them on for the night to keep the epoxy warm while it cured.

It worked like a charm. I spent some time at 1st checking temps at various heights, so's not to under or overdo it or start a fire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts