Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just saw a news broadcast about the beaches being covered in sea weed. My question is, is there some alarming or non-alarming reason that all of this sea weed is being ripped from the sea floor in the first place? The report seemed to only be worried about how it might negatively affect tourism.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It’s not really seaweed. It is sargassum and it just floats around the ocean. Apparently, there is a lot of it and it’s being blown onto the beaches from wind/current

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Last year I read a prediction that this would be a bad year for it. Wonder how soon it'll make it to Texas.
We need some weed mats to fish offshore. It’s been a few years since there have been any substantial mats here so I’m guessing the currents have shifted. Everything is a cycle, probably lots of weed washing up in a year or so.

·
Banned
4,551 Posts
It means no one from out of state should fish. The demon weed signals fishing is bad, stay home, lick the pre 1975 windows and sills for good luck. The sea weed is unmerciful. It literally eats out of state fishermen. Stay home..

·
Banned
4,551 Posts
We need some weed mats to fish offshore. It’s been a few years since there have been any substantial mats here so I’m guessing the currents have shifted. Everything is a cycle, probably lots of weed washing up in a year or so.
Shhhhh. Weed is bad.

Reactions: makin moves

·
Registered
866 Posts
It has been bad down in the western carribean for a couple years now. Increased amounts of normal sargassum. Some blame for increased amount is being placed on addtional agricultural chemicals(fertilizers) used in the Amazon basin of South America.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
It’a mainly ocean currents that have shifted. People like to blame all kinds of things for natural occurrences but forget that nature has cycles. Just like global warming then global cooling...man gives himself too much credit at times. Texas had it piled up three feet thick for thirty miles of beach on a regular basis here and now it’s not here, it’s over that way. Ocean currents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts