Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Looking for some advice on getting a new skiff for under 17k on a 40acre lake in Lutz Fl. I will mostly be using this boat on my home lake and to transfer between smaller lakes/rivers in central Fl.

I usually fish alone but would need room for 2 people to fish and on rare occasions 3. Mostly target largemouth bass.

Some boats I have looked at so far are the Gheenoe LT25 and the SaltMarsh Heron 16.

Speed is not neccisarry and would like a fairly stable & stealthy boat.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
@FlBass81 based on the 2 boats you mentioned you may consider looking for closely at the saltmarsh. I had a LT25 and absolutely loved the boat. Stealth, the setup allowed me to run super shallow and allowed me to get into some really tight spots. However, real estate was always an issue and found it very challenging when running with more than 2 guys. Other than that it was a awesome boat. Never owned a saltmarsh but have heard some good reviews and sounds like it's more up your alley

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@FlBass81 based on the 2 boats you mentioned you may consider looking for closely at the saltmarsh. I had a LT25 and absolutely loved the boat. Stealth, the setup allowed me to run super shallow and allowed me to get into some really tight spots. However, real estate was always an issue and found it very challenging when running with more than 2 guys. Other than that it was a awesome boat. Never owned a saltmarsh but have heard some good reviews and sounds like it's more up your alley

How would you say the stability was on the LT25? I have yet to give it a wet test

Also, how durable was it? I won’t be abusing it but will eventually hit some submerged timber here and there

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Surprisingly stable for their width but could be sensitive to weight shifts. Not sure of your location but you may be able to find someone on the forum willing to take you out on a test ride.

As far as durability, as durable as any other fiberglass boat. If timber is a concern, perhaps an aluminum boat.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Reactions: CPurvis

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Sabines look cool, but a bit out of my budget...

The skimmer 16.6 looks nice, & in budget, will need to do some research on it.

I have an old aluminum Jon boat that I’ve used the past 10-12 years and kept it in pretty good condition. Its rare that I scrape against any timber or branches, but it’s inevitable.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The Sabines look cool, but a bit out of my budget...

The skimmer 16.6 looks nice, & in budget, will need to do some research on it.

I have an old aluminum Jon boat that I’ve used the past 10-12 years and kept it in pretty good condition. Its rare that I scrape against any timber or branches, but it’s inevitable.
Call Bobby at Skimmer. He will build it any way you want. It is a great boat. and very well built.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,174 Posts
Welded alum Jon boat, many companies make them now with a little bit of deadrise, and a modified v in front. Find a wide one about 16' and you'll have a very versatile very durable boat. They can even be somewhat stealthy, once you learn to pole backwards. Even more when you learn how to minimize hull slap by proper positioning when the situation allows.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
627 Posts
A Ranger Banshee Extreme would do the trick if you could find one that doesn’t have the typical rigging. Very wide boat for a 16’.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts