Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did you tie it and if so, do you have a link to the recipe? If it works down there in GA, it will work in Chuck Town.
That’s a massive fish for the little man, tell him great job!
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
View attachment 86992 View attachment 86994 Brunswick, st simons, Jekyll GA. I’ve been getting them on bead chain black and purple size 4 crabby flies my kids been tearing them up with swimbait hooks rigged weed less with white plastics.
Those are some nice reds. I’m originally from Waycross but live in Atlanta now. My wife and I still have family down there that we often visit with. It’s been awhile since I’ve fished the Brunswick, St. Simon’s, and Jeckll Island area. Looks like I need to make a trip down there soon to fish it again.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Did you tie it and if so, do you have a link to the recipe? If it works down there in GA, it will work in Chuck Town.
That’s a massive fish for the little man, tell him great job!
Thanks for sharing.
I tied it. It is not super pretty, but looks crabby lands quiet with beadchains and has some good action kicking around the grass.

Hook: any size 4 standard length saltwater
Eyes: beadchain or small lead I’ve been spooking fewer fish on the beadchain
Tail: purple rabbit strip and on the outside of the rabbit pair of flo orange rubber legs
Body: waxed dubbing loop, black rabbit fur pinched and then cut from the strip as long as possible-and some fine black flashibou cut into small pieces about the length of the fur. Spin that into your dubbing loop and Palmer that to the eyes. Trim the bottom flat. This helps it stay hook point up. Dubbing loop makes a lighter casting fly than just palmering a full rabbit strip but you could do that to.
Weed guard: I usually do double mono

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
B6E4FC1A-E23F-4183-8678-3E0D3983D3E3.jpeg
Used the big fly for that one, eh?
Most of the flys I use I tie myself but I just happened to be in Black Fly Outfitters the other day and picked up a couple of those gurglers. Watching a redfish explode on that gurgler made the expensive cost well worth it. I ended up hooking up on three and missed a couple more because of the aggressive way they exploded on the fly. The water they were pushing made them miss the fly. Watching a hungry redfish pounce from above on these gurglers makes my day even if I don’t hook them up.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,244 Posts
View attachment 90170

Most of the flys I use I tie myself but I just happened to be in Black Fly Outfitters the other day and picked up a couple of those gurglers. Watching a redfish explode on that gurgler made the expensive cost well worth it. I ended up hooking up on three and missed a couple more because of the aggressive way they exploded on the fly. The water they were pushing made them miss the fly. Watching a hungry redfish pounce from above on these gurglers makes my day even if I don’t hook them up.
Gurglers are what I use for tailers. I tie them on Sz. 1 long shank hooks, double mono weedless loops.Love to watch them take it.
Sweet boat!

Reactions: Zaraspook

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Gurglers are what I use for tailers. I tie them on Sz. 1 long shank hooks, double mono weedless loops.Love to watch them take it.
Sweet boat!
True tailers that are nose down tail up rooting on bottom or crawling where you can see the dorsal and tail? I’ve never gotten a true tailing red to eat on top because they are too infatuated with what they are looking for on bottom.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
True tailers that are nose down tail up rooting on bottom or crawling where you can see the dorsal and tail? I’ve never gotten a true tailing red to eat on top because they are too infatuated with what they are looking for on bottom.
Most of the fish I saw yesterday were tailers and they would not look at the gurgler. The only fish I hooked up were sippers. About three tailers for every sipper. Even though I was at a disadvantage with the gurgler it was a blast watching the takes and misses.

Reactions: Smackdaddy53
1 - 20 of 50 Posts