Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Panhandler
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not trying to start a pissing contest between brands or certainly not devalue someone's sale. But there are an abundance of quality skiffs on the market all of a sudden.

Realize part of it is the time of year. But it also seems like there are several examples of buyers who have a skiff built or buy a pre-owned only to figure out it's not really what they expected? A two-person specialty craft is not the ideal boat for a four- or five-member family, plus the dog, or fishing four buddies, after all.

Not criticizing anyone. We all go through phases and most different evolutions of fishing. Yet the very nature of micro skiffs is limited and perhaps a flats or bay boat would be a better choice for many of today's anglers? Are micro skiffs the latest trend like designer dogs or craft beers? I'm an old fart with a multiple boat background, so I really am curious.

For those shoppers who have decided that a true skinny water, less than moderate chop and three anglers or less (ideally two) skiff is right for them, they have plenty of options right now at very reasonable prices. At least that's the conclusion I'm drawing from this forum's current listings of classified ads.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I see what you are saying and I wonder how someone could order a beautiful skiff and have it up for sale a year later. Sometimes the excuse for selling is that they need something bigger. I've had several boats and friends with different sized boats and the most enjoyment was fishing out of a 13ft jon boat in the everglades. I always wanted to have another boat that was similar to that jon boat, just a little bigger and with a steering wheel, and the ability to carry a fishing poles without stepping on them. I used to push it around with a long paddle before I ever saw a poling skiff.

·
Banned
1,439 Posts
Try a 22’ well boat , used a sail board mast w a duck bill to pole. Also had about 400’ of anchor line for the drift back lol. Rag tag mess If the wind was up too much Id just raise the motor, and let the damn thing cart wheel down the creek bank It’s a boat , not a piano But dammit boy,I caught a lot fish ! Had a blast too !!

·
Panhandler
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They should try it on an 18’ 84” wide flats boat with a 150 into a gale force headwind!:D:D:D
Did that for a dozen years with a 20-footer and 200-hp. That's why I now own a technical poling skiff. LOL But with the glut of beautiful HBs, Mavericks, etc. on the market right now, I would have thought long and hard about building new vs. pre-owned.

·
Panhandler
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
True. I'm in the sport-fishing industry and those kind of buying habits keep us in business. ;)

Bay and center consoles are much more universal than technical poling skiffs though. With the chaotic offshore fisheries management and fuel prices, the trend is going towards inshore which increases pressure on the stocks and reduces those areas that are little fished.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I browse boat ads regularly and haven't seen the glut. Where are you seeing these boats at reasonable prices? I am seeing 15+ year old boats with an asking price close to what they sold for when new. Are there any good deals in our classifieds here, and if so which ones are you considering a good deal?

·
Panhandler
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mid-$20K Hells Bays with low hours on engines vs. at least twice that for new seems reasonable to me. The days of $1,000 per foot costs are ancient history. Guess it all depends on expectations and budget. But if a boat has been well maintained, it still has plenty of useful life left.

·
Registered
Marquesa
680 Posts
I see some in the high 20's, but they are far from low hour motors. Mid to high 30's seems to be where the low hour 4 strokes are.

Mid-$20K Hells Bays with low hours on engines vs. at least twice that for new seems reasonable to me. The days of $1,000 per foot costs are ancient history. Guess it all depends on expectations and budget. But if a boat has been well maintained, it still has plenty of useful life left.

·
Panhandler
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's still about half what the new ones with bells and whistles are going for.

it's all relative. Just seemed to be more than usual on the market and I was just wondering out loud if this is a trend.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
557 Posts
Blows my mind too that people will wait on the build sometimes longer than they end up having the boat! There was one instance where I made a boat purchase that didn't work for me. After the birth of my second child, I bought a 19' Scout bay boat to replace my Action Craft. Realized I made a mistake after a year or so when it dawned on me that most of the time on the boat I was still trying to fish skinny for reds, get into small creeks, etc. and got frustrated. Sold that boat after only 2 years of ownership, spending most of the second year of that ownership diligently researching hulls and builders to get something that I'd hold onto longer next time. Still happy with my current boat after almost 5 years.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Talked to my Prop Guy today , The Boating "Hobby" is pretty DEAD ! Can't keep any fish . If you can even find them !!! Guys just don't want to spend the time and money only to be disappointed ...

Reactions: flyclimber

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
And then there are boats that are all hype , once the buyer learns the truth that he was conned into buying a very WET boat that is pretty much useless ... The flip is on ...

Reactions: Fritz
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.