Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very new to the fly fishing world. I am going to have quite a few opportunities to fish ponds/creeks for bass the winter and would rather do it fly fishing so I can continue to learn. I currently have a TFO NXT 8wt I’m enjoying learned to cast this but I’d like to add something with less power like a 5wt for catching small 1-2lb bass locally and then also use this rod for a trip up to Gatlinburg in a few weeks.
I’m looking at the Redington Crosswater 5wt. Is there something else in this price range (120$) that you would consider? Based on my googling this seems to be an appropriate sized rod.
Additionally are there any flies for bass you would recommend?

·
Registered
1999 Carolina Skiff 16
1,178 Posts
I have the CrossWater in 6wt. If you like a fast action rod, keep looking. The CrossWater is a slower action rod. Other than action, it's a decent rod and reel for the price.
For flies, it's hard to beat a wooly bugger. Olive and black are mandatory, other colors optional. Clousers are good for any fish, just pair the right sized fly to your target. Olive over white, grey over white, and "electric chicken" (chartreuse and pink) are good starting colors.
For topwater, large poppers, deer hair mouse and frog, and gurglers work.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
441 Posts
I’ve never thrown that rod so no idea about it. Creeks are usually a short game so it’s probably OK.
You are never wrong with Wooly Bugger, Clousers, or Gurglers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I fish farm ponds when the wind is up or I just don’t feel like launching the skiff. I have a Orvis Clearwater 6 wt that I use for Bass fishing and it also serves as a back up to my Winston for trout stream fishing. It’s hard to beat a Clearwater for the money, it’s pretty stout and works well for big Bass.
I tie gurglers and deer hair poppers when the top water action heats up, typically just before dark. Oversized sqirmy wormys and rabbit strips, with dumbbell eyes work well for sub surface. Working animal Eyelash Horse tack Liver Pack animal
Water Vertebrate Fisherman Fish Fishing
Working animal Eyelash Horse tack Liver Pack animal

Working animal Eyelash Horse tack Liver Pack animal

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I have a TFO Pro II 5wt coming to me as I write this. I've gotten it specifically for bass (peacocks particularly). Once I have it in hand I'll pass on my impressions. Since I'm a full time guide - I really appreciate TFO's quick turnaround on warranty issues. In the backcountry of the 'glades, where you'll usually find me - we're hard on gear so the warranty side of things is a big consideration... I've been building rods for many years, but when someone breaks a fly rod - I just can't replace it fast enough if it's one of my own - so factory fly rods are attractive...

Although I'm 99% a salt or brackish type, we do have some good peacock fishing locally and I've been wanting to be able to offer it to my other trips. A good sized peacock bass on a 5wt should be all you can stand...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appreciate the fly recommendations. I’m going to pick up a few different ones and give it a shot. I currently just have shrimpy flies and honestly have never thrown to a fish yet. Captain LeMay, you make a good point about the TFO warranty. Maybe I should just get the TFO NXT in the 5wt and it could also serve as a backup to my 8wt if anything were to go wrong in the future.

One thing I had not considered is possibly finding a shorter rod. The two areas that I will fish both are very tight, with tons of brush.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have heard good things about the Echo Carbon XL. Never tried it myself.
I have the echo ION XL, the big brother to the carbon XL. The ion XL is just about perfect for bass! I have one in a 6wt and it’s a mod/fast action rod. I had an SA MPX taper on it and that was perfect. I’ll do Double duty for light saltwater too

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have heard good things about the Echo Carbon XL. Never tried it myself.
My local shop said that there’s been a huge run on Echo Carbon XL rods and that they don’t expect any new arrivals until mid January. I suppose that tells you something about how popular the rod is. I suggest going to a local fly shop (if at all possible) and trying out a few rods first before deciding.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a TFO Pro II 5wt coming to me as I write this. I've gotten it specifically for bass (peacocks particularly). Once I have it in hand I'll pass on my impressions. Since I'm a full time guide - I really appreciate TFO's quick turnaround on warranty issues. In the backcountry of the 'glades, where you'll usually find me - we're hard on gear so the warranty side of things is a big consideration... I've been building rods for many years, but when someone breaks a fly rod - I just can't replace it fast enough if it's one of my own - so factory fly rods are attractive...

Although I'm 99% a salt or brackish type, we do have some good peacock fishing locally and I've been wanting to be able to offer it to my other trips. A good sized peacock bass on a 5wt should be all you can stand...
Just curious Capt. Bob, what length TFO Pro II did you order?

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
The nine footer… easy choice since it was all they had in stock… Not a problem since this rod will be for lakes, ponds, and canals -not the small streams that trout anglers love. It will be for peacocks first - then largemouth when peas are scarce… A big change from my usual brackish or salt world. The reel will be really old school, a Pflueger Medalist…

·
Registered
355 Posts
The nine footer… easy choice since it was all they had in stock… Not a problem since this rod will be for lakes, ponds, and canals -not the small streams that trout anglers love. It will be for peacocks first - then largemouth when peas are scarce… A big change from my usual brackish or salt world. The reel will be really old school, a Pflueger Medalist…
Ahh, the Pflueger Medalist, my first reel when it cost $19.95!😳

1 - 15 of 15 Posts