Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I’m new here.

I recently just started to look for a flats/skiff boat to fish marsh that most boats can’t get too.

I went to boat trader to search for boats but I noticed that even late 90s model boats are running $15k+ even with an old motor on the back.

Can anyone tell me why 15-20 year old boats are still priced at $15k if not more
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep looking. Plenty of deals out there. Sweat equity is your biggest discount
Good luck

There is one that I’m hoping won’t get picked up this week, not far from my area and in my price range, but skiffs are not common in my area so finding one is almost like hitting a gold mine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
Current economic situation and financing have boosted boat prices. With new prices going up used follows. You should see the offshore market! There are still new affordable options - ankona, skimmer, Glasser..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m still going to be searching, I don’t mind putting work into a boat. But it was just general curiousity of why a 14-16ft flats boat cost more than a 18-21ft bay boat.
 

·
Lip Ripper
Joined
·
1,717 Posts
I’m still going to be searching, I don’t mind putting work into a boat. But it was just general curiousity of why a 14-16ft flats boat cost more than a 18-21ft bay boat.
There are a lot more bay boats out there than poling skiffs. Plus getting a boat that floats shallow and poles straight, while not getting you soaking wet while running is more involved than just copying every other sea pro, sea hunt,sea... whatever bay boat is out with a similar hull design. Most of the time you get what you pay for as far as fit and finish as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
What "bay" boats are you referring to? People are paying $200k Plus for a 24 bay boat.

You will probably also have better luck on a craigslist style or microskiff forum for used flats boats. The Boattrader listings are mostly brokers and online brokers like POP yachts that price high.
 

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
Joined
·
10,375 Posts
Sounds like you need to buy a Carolina Skiff and pole it around for a few years. I doubt most of these guys looked at your profile and saw you are 25 years old. If you are serious about buying a skiff I recommend doing lots of research before you buy one or you’ll be posting it in the classifieds in no time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like you need to buy a Carolina Skiff and pole it around for a few years. I doubt most of these guys looked at your profile and saw you are 25 years old. If you are serious about buying a skiff I recommend doing lots of research before you buy one or you’ll be posting it in the classifieds in no time.

The boat I have now is a CC with a deep v. I do 90% of my fishing in the marsh in the main canals and bayous. and the other 10% is freshwater, there is still areas I want to get to that I can’t with my boat and are to far to reach with a kayak. Also with me fishing by myself most of the time I think a flats boat is the right choice for me.
 

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Joined
·
389 Posts
What brands are you looking at? Sounds like you may need to get into a manufacturer that is not a main, top tier builder. What is your budget and what is your idea of a flats boat? You could be referring to a Gheenoe with a poling platform or an 18' Egret or anything in between...help us help you with some suggestions
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What brands are you looking at? Sounds like you may need to get into a manufacturer that is not a main, top tier builder. What is your budget and what is your idea of a flats boat? You could be referring to a Gheenoe with a poling platform or an 18' Egret or anything in between...help us help you with some suggestions
My budget is about $10K. I’d feel more comfortable around 7500.
As far as features I’d like to have a Livewell/insulated fish box, a baitwell would be nice but not a deal breaker.
Also some storage options to put life jackets, tackle, and other safety gear. And finally I’d like to have a center console.

With all that said I know I’d have to buy used which I’m okay with, I don’t mind putting in a little work if needed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
15,000$ doesn't buy shit anymore. Cell phones over a grand. An average new pick-up truck 45,000+. If you have some skill, you can rebuild an old hull for well under 10,000.
 
1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Top