flats boats

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by orlgheenoer, Mar 20, 2007.

1. orlgheenoer

orlgheenoer Well-Known Member

allright we know we can go anywhere we see water when its clam but, i am sure we have all had those days when we fish we could run in the 15-20 knot wind to get to that honey hole. what kind of flats boat do you guys like/want/have?

I love the HB 17.8 professional(with a 90 2s or 60 4s), the HB guide(90 2s 60 4s) and the ECC lostmen(60 4s or stiffy push pole)

2. whitesnook

whitesnook Guest

Ditto but www.androsboatworks.com after I sell my 18ft CC boat.

3. brew1891

brew1891 Well-Known Member

Gordon 18 foot WATERMAN if its just a rough 'goon day.

4. jmarkklock

jmarkklock Well-Known Member

Considering cost, draft, functionality, fit, finish, and customer service, in my opinion, I would go with the Lostmen

5. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

If I had to buy a full size flats boat then my first look would be....... One of the two full size flats boat hulls that Pugar made and are sitting in the back of his shop. Not that they are for sale but I would be all over a bigger boat built by Custom Gheenoe. There isn't a good performance based justification. Just that I like my current Gheenoe, the brand, the value, the simplicity, the customer service, the tradition behind the company, etc. After Gheenoe I would look at the other Florida based manufactures.

6. jmarkklock

jmarkklock Well-Known Member

Tom, I didn't know the Gheenoe Flats Boat was an option.. :cool:
    That would be the bomb! But I guess the doing one thing and doing it well is a tried and true business model.

7. tojo

tojo Well-Known Member

X2

Tom Gordon's commitment to customer service is at the same level as CG. He makes a great boat.

8. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

They are not an option but if they were I would interested. My understanding is that the two hulls that are there are not for sale and he has no intentions of building any more.

I agree it would be cool. When I talked to Pugar I got the impression that he had the same philosophy as you. Stick with the business model.

9. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Money no object... 18' Carbon Kevlar Egret! :eek: Simply put there is not another Flats Boat out there that can match its versitality, quality of construction, ride, storage, foul weather handling capabilities and beauty.

If you want fast... Lakes and Bay ands down.

Great ride and shallow poling, HB.

Cheers
    Capt. Jan

EDIT: add to this list other great skiffs, Willy's and Pre-Bass Pro Silver Kings.

10. EATME

EATME Guest

Im with TOJO,Iv only met Tom Gordon once and thats all it took to see he is top notch,and his boats are badddd assss!

11. brew1891

brew1891 Well-Known Member

i finally saw one this weekend. It was Capt. Bryans. Didn't inspect it or anything but it looked very stable and the smurf blue looks a lot better in person than it does online. The Honda motor was outrageously quiet.

12. captnron

captnron Guest

X3. Proven hull design. Don't forget about the 16. ;)

I also agree with iMacattack - Egret is first class. :cool:

Another not mentioned - "Willy" - sweet boats

But that's just my .000000000000000000002 sense

13. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Yes it was... "EDIT: add to this list other great skiffs, Willy's and Pre-Bass Pro Silver Kings." ;) :D

14. captnron

captnron Guest

95 and older "Mark Scott" built Silver Kings as well as the few "Grand Slams" he built in the early 2000's.