Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being 45 min to the ocean, I really want a little, super economical, minimal headache flats boat that I can stow on a floating dock and fish the canals with (hoa only allows one lift per residence). This will also be a boat that the wife will use and become familiar with. (no tiller)

Please give suggestions.

Looking for a flats style boat
14 to 18 ft max
Must be able to run 35 plus with two adults (I don't want to take two hours to run to the sandbar)
No tiller
Ultra reliable (low maintenance hull)
I will likely repower if need be
Around 10k or less
Want a baitwell too

And go! Thank you in advance

·
Brandon, FL
10,937 Posts
Depends on what type of water you need to cross to get out to the sandbar.

Anything with enough motor is going to have lots of wires for all of the goodies.

·
Lip Ripper
1,715 Posts
i second the Carolina Skiff idea.

·
Carpe Diem
1,800 Posts
OP: Just re-powering a skiff that will cruise at 35 is going to cost close to $10 K. To stay within your budget and performance requirements, you're going to have to go used. With used, reliability will be lower and maintenance requirements will be greater.

Conclusion: either your budget or your requirements will have to change.

So, you're saying you can lay down the bucks for a 30' CC and only have $10 K for the boat you'll use the most? Do you really need advice or are you just trolling?

·
Brandon, FL
10,937 Posts
30 ft CC...must have a F250, if not he will need one of those and then he won't have the skiff.

He also does not say what kind of water he is in. A 2 hour drive sounds like big water and that is not a place for a skiff.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Try looking at Akonas (preferably the shadowcast). Affordable and somewhat small. Easy to maintain and you can use the extra money for a motor. But definitely look into a Carolina Skiff. Also very affordable and low maintenance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts