Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can tell that things are finally opening up this spring in the backcountry of Everglades National Park out of Flamingo and my anglers are enjoying it... Only out two days this past week and the big silver speckled trout are finally making a showing in the backcountry. Every day now we're getting fish up to 20 inches on lures of every kind. Double hook-ups on very light gear are common.... Here's a sample, and they're suckers for flies as well as lures...

I expect them to present almost every day now for the next month or so...

Along with the trout, we've been getting some nice snook on the days when we've targeted them - on leadheads with plastic tails...

this one near a river mouth along the Gulf coast...

The real stars this past week have been the tarpon, of every size, holding in the tributaries of our main river - the Little Shark... Our first day we jumped three, getting one to the boat... Last Thursday we struck another three, one a big one..., and all three came to the skiff for a photo or two - then a careful release... This one was nearly 100lbs and took my first time tarpon angler to school for about thirty minutes before coming in for the release..

The tarpon have been biting lures and live baits equally well. I have some fly anglers in the next few days so we'll be after them with the long rod as well. Just nothing like the 'glades...

Not to be forgotten, we're still catching and releasing grouper in these same waters that the tarpon are holding in - all of them "baby" goliath grouper up to about 30lbs on all kinds of gear.. .. Here's one of last Thursday's fish...

tarpon in the morning, goliaths in the afternoon... some days it's tough to decide which way to go (and what to target...).

It's prime time now in the backcountry and will just continue to get better as we move from spring into summer and I do still have a few openings in both April and May for anyone heading my way...

"Be a hero... take a kid fishing"

· Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To put it mildly this is one of a very few times that the FWC completely screwed up in their fisheries policy…in my opinion. I’ve long advocated that they open up Goliath grouper to recreational harvest only -with a one fish per boat limit having their biologists set size limits.

Instead they’ve done a very limited opening and added a very expensive tag to boot… I don’t know anyone who’ll participate in this farce. All this while we’re literally over-run with them in all the areas we fish each day… These fish actually displace other species. Any snook spot that gets a few of the goliaths soon loses all of its snook…
Although they’ve been protected since the early nineties I can remember fish fries that my fishing club hosted that included small goliaths (fish under 30lb) and they were good eating.. before the closure.

I hope that one day things will return to a time when all the various fish species in the ‘glades were in balance and not just one specie dominant the way it is now due to our misguided policies…

· I Love microskiff.com!
1820 Action Craft
1,108 Posts
To put it mildly this is one of a very few times that the FWC completely screwed up in their fisheries policy…in my opinion. I’ve long advocated that they open up Goliath grouper to recreational harvest only -with a one fish per boat limit having their biologists set size limits.

Instead they’ve done a very limited opening and added a very expensive tag to boot… I don’t know anyone who’ll participate in this farce. All this while we’re literally over-run with them in all the areas we fish each day… These fish actually displace other species. Any snook spot that gets a few of the goliaths soon loses all of its snook…
Although they’ve been protected since the early nineties I can remember fish fries that my fishing club hosted that included small goliaths (fish under 30lb) and they were good eating.. before the closure.

I hope that one day things will return to a time when all the various fish species in the ‘glades were in balance and not just one specie dominant the way it is now due to our misguided policies…
Agree

· Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wonder if they even want to hear our opinions.....Overall I'm very pleased by most of what the FWC has done over the years but I have a hard time understanding how they can be so clueless about this issue.

· Registered
1,515 Posts
As long as people are keeping fish there will be an imbalance.

· Registered
428 Posts

FWC - Fisheries Willfully Capsized

· Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For tarpon early is always best (in summer we’re on the water a full hour before sunup…). For everything else the only clock I pay attention to is times of the tide - not the time of day…

· I Love microskiff.com!
28 Posts

You're right, Bob. Saw a 10lber in Chocko last week with a huge blue crab stuck in it's mouth. THEY EAT EVERYTHING! Love that classic 18 Mav you're running.

· Registered
4 Posts
We kayaked the waterway last week and that's where we saw them. Sunday 3/20 we went from Oyster Bay to Graveyard and pretty much once we got to the outside they were thick.
After that we got into the juvies in broad creek then didn't see another all the way to EC.

· Registered
59 Posts
Very nice! I was down there in early March and did well some days and not so well others. I was in a kayak so I was a little limited in how far I could go. I did a couple nights at the Watson River chickee and the fishing was poor near there although the gafftops were active.

· Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Everyone fishes differently -and some of that is because there's no one place that tarpon hold, feed, or move... and depending on the size of the fish they behave differently - until you hook one... There's just no substitute for time on the water to figure out what to expect each day. And if you should just happen to find a spot or a situation that's close to perfection... for heaven's sake - don't tell anyone since the moment boats show up and anglers start working them - the tarpon will find someplace else to rest up, etc. They learn early on that boats mean trouble (and since no one deliberately kills a tarpon it might have been hooked more than a few times in it's lifespan... a really big fish might actually be seventy years old...)

· Registered
26 Posts
Was just out there at the beginning of the month! Was in the North River a majority of the time and caught nothing but slot specks that were schooling in the eddies. I need to start targeting tarpon for some extra fun every once in a while, just don't have experience dong it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.