Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

A friend and I are planning a last second trip down to Flamingo this weekend. We both rarely ever get the chance to fish together since he lives up north, so he's making the long drive south in hopes of catching a few fish and having a good time in the glades.

Just wanted to reach out on the forum for any advice on fishing Flamingo as of recently, either backcountry, out front or both. Not asking for spots, just advice based on current conditions as of lately and fishing patterns. I have only fished Flamingo two or three times without much success since the grass began to die off in 2015 according to my last pictures and i know it has changed PLENTY since then.

We are both die-hard fly fishermen and will be focusing our efforts on fly. If we were to pursuit a particular species, it would be either Redfish on fly or Tarpon on fly.

We'll be fishing out of my Shadowcast 16. She aint fast but she floats skinny; just means i have to wake up a bit earlier.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Can’t help you with the fly....but I had an 80-fish day a few weeks ago using spinning gear and fishing out of my Hobie. All fish carefully released to fight another day. Nothing big...but a great respite from the winter shack nasties. If I were flyfishing this week.....I’d throw some white gurglers under the mangroves. Keep an eye on Capt Bob Lemay’s reports.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Tarpon- pole shallow coves at the mouth of the rivers, or if they're not there, check oyster bay on an incoming tide. You'll find them rolling or laid up. As far as the backcountry goes, I would search the east side for shallow, clear water. That's your best bet for spotting fish, and spotting fish is your best bet for fly fishing. That way you're not blind casting all day aimlessly only to maybe get lucky and catch one or two fish.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the Tarpon advice. Looks like condition predictions are favoring the tarpon this weekend as water temps are steadily coming back up.

Any word on out front? Is the water quality still bad? Last time i was out front (1.5- 2 years ago) i decided to explore how far east the die-off had affected. Sad to see that it was as far east as Crocodile Pt and as far out dump key. Didnt see one Redfish that day which was my deciding factor that i should "give Flamingo a break and time to heal."

More than anything, it would make my trip just to see em tailing again on the flats. Redfish hold a special place in my heart. It was the first redfish and last fish my grandpa ever caught before he passed away. I havnt seen or caught a red since... RIP Pipo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts