Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever taken one of the houseboats in the flamingo marina back into the everglades and used it as a mothership? I Recently stayed on one of the houseboats but did not leave the marina. While there I was thinking about the possibilities for using it as a backwater home-base. To drastically shorten the morning run and allow for more exploration. Just curious is anyone had any experience or advice on the subject?

Our view from the bow of the boat for reference!

Property Building Sky Window Vehicle

·
I Love microskiff.com!
43 Posts
Did it with the old boats also, years ago, all the way to Shark River. It was tough going with three skiffs and 6 on board. Depending how far you go you'll want to rig up a gps. Bring plenty of bug spray - enough to shower with. And extra gas for all that "exploring".

·
Registered
314 Posts
I did it last January thinking the same thing. My uncle and I rented it for 4 nights. I figured we would get up early and get to my spots early. We took too much rum, drank all night and stared at the stars, then woke up each morning around 9am. The beds are super comfy and we ran the ac one of the nights. I've had better luck waking up early from tent camping down at the camp grounds. You don't sleep as good, but still drink way too much. He's 70 and he told me stories about Vietnam and growing up in Homestead after he came home in the 70's. I think he told me stories that he had never told anyone else.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I have customers that rent houseboats, drive them out into Whitewater Bay then anchor up and use them as floating motels… They’re $350 per day. Some tow or drive their own boats as well. I run out and meet the ones who I’ll be fishing each day…
I have one customer that rents a houseboat and leaves docked right at the marina… He’s negotiated $300 per night - and those new houseboats sleep five or six, with AC and kitchen… Pretty good deal, I stay onboard myself then run one of their boats each day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We did it on the old boats - Did a total of 20 years with one trip per year. Last weekend of October. 6 guys 3 skiffs
The old boats must of been a lot larger lol the one we stayed on felt just right with 3 on board. And that was with the option of stepping on land whenever you wanted

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did it with the old boats also, years ago, all the way to Shark River. It was tough going with three skiffs and 6 on board. Depending how far you go you'll want to rig up a gps. Bring plenty of bug spray - enough to shower with. And extra gas for all that "exploring".
Did yall tow the skiffs behind the boat? Or drive alongside? Was also curious how tying off the skiffs and preventing them from bumping the boat would go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did it last January thinking the same thing. My uncle and I rented it for 4 nights. I figured we would get up early and get to my spots early. We took too much rum, drank all night and stared at the stars, then woke up each morning around 9am. The beds are super comfy and we ran the ac one of the nights. I've had better luck waking up early from tent camping down at the camp grounds. You don't sleep as good, but still drink way too much. He's 70 and he told me stories about Vietnam and growing up in Homestead after he came home in the 70's. I think he told me stories that he had never told anyone else.

Man that actually sounds like a lot of fun as well! Along with the great fishing I had a blast just appreciating the new environment and poking around the mangroves for a few days.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have customers that rent houseboats, drive them out into Whitewater Bay then anchor up and use them as floating motels… They’re $350 per day. Some tow or drive their own boats as well. I run out and meet the ones who I’ll be fishing each day…
I have one customer that rents a houseboat and leaves docked right at the marina… He’s negotiated $300 per night - and those new houseboats sleep five or six, with AC and kitchen… Pretty good deal, I stay onboard myself then run one of their boats each day.
You mentioned the crocodile at the ramp in one of you flamingo reports recently. Got to see them in action at the ramp the other day. Right before sunrise that croc sprung out of the water and snagged a bird. Kinda concerning when you watch the tourists who damn near stand a foot in front of it for a picture!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,353 Posts
We have a houseboat booked for a week in February for our lodging. It will stay at the dock.

Reactions: Babrames

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,098 Posts
We have a way of controlling those critters so they do not ground out our power lines. Not sure what repellant is used but I think I have a safe full in 1,000 piece boxes. ;)

I told a ranger one day that if they shot a few of them and hung them up on poles the rest of them would leave and stay away. We used to do that with crows in the garden.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'll tell you what we are in the process of doing. A couple of years ago, we bought a Pontoon boat so we could take more people out. Right now we are in the process of putting crossbars on the bow to install a rooftop tent. And then add a screen enclosure for underneath it. 2 guys in the tent, 2 guys in the bow. The stern will have to coolers and grill, etc. 2 skiffs, 4 guys. One of the guy drives the pontoon to where we went to sleep for the night. It becomes the mother ship. We hope to have it read for our February trip. I will post pics.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I recently started looking into this also and Google Flamingo house boats. Found a story recently written by a guy who did this trip.
3 or 4 guys rented the houseboat ($400 night w/ generator for a/c). 2 guys took their boat and fished through coot Bay, while the other guy or 2 took the houseboat (max speed 7mph) on the 4 hour trip to where they decided to moor it. If I remember correctly he said they parked the houseboat near marker 42 in Whitewater Bay.
Sounded like a great trip and really peaked my interest. I would like to find a few guys to do this trip with

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,353 Posts
There is a limit to how far you can take the houseboats. The info is on the website. I did have to make my reservations twice because I didn't get a confirmation the first time and they had no record of it. Had to change dates, the week I wanted was taken by then.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts