Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to Hells bay in about 10 days. Any reports from WAY back? Or any reports from the eastern side of Whitewater?

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
This time of year - the deer flies own that area... Most that I know fish that area when it's colder... Right now all the action is on the gulf side of the 'Glades for us... On Sunday my anglers caught and released three snook between 10 and 12lbs along the coast - without moving in less than forty minutes... Each one was carefully released....

For anyone interested - this time of year you can launch at the inside ramp, run all the way across to the gulf side, fish all day long and rarely see even one other boat during the week...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate it. I love the rivers especially between the graveyard and Rogers River. Always had my guiding honey holes but this time of year I always did well deep deep behind Hells Bay in deeper holes for snook reds and tarpon. Plus this is a teaching trip to pass on how to run the back waterways for my son and to have him pose with the hidden memorial we have back there for Herman Lucern.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'll be heading back there soon as well. I absolutely love that general area (and east/ northeast of Lane), that's my favorite area. Just learning to navigate back there is incredibly fun- something most people don't care about or aren't willing to do. Rarely see another boat anywhere back there, and especially not this time of year. Fishing is typically excellent- You get all of the same fish you might see in the winter minus any big big girls that moved up inside, but will still find respectable snook. Love the Herman Lucern memorial!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love that area too but am usually south of there a bit mainly south east of lane. I'm usually good for a few 15 lbs'ers back there this time a year. and love the small tarpon.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Last week we were way up Turner Creek and the surrounding mangroves tunnels and into small lakes on the Gulf side and jumped many juvy tarpon and several large snook. The flies were not as bad as I was expecting.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last week we were way up Turner Creek and the surrounding mangroves tunnels and into small lakes on the Gulf side and jumped many juvy tarpon and several large snook. The flies were not as bad as I was expecting.
Thank you sir. Havent been up Turner in a coons age. That's some beautiful country

·
Registered
736 Posts
I was thinking of heading out there early next week. I didn't have much luck in the winter months tough, I was thinking of motoring to the gulf side from flamingo and pole up the creeks.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking of heading out there early next week. I didn't have much luck in the winter months tough, I was thinking of motoring to the gulf side from flamingo and pole up the creeks.
There should be a lot of snook along the beaches and creek mouths. On falling tides fish the mouths for big tarpon

·
Registered
736 Posts
Oh yeah I got into them for sure, but they were just swarming bait and couldn’t get them to eat. They were rolling like 5 feet from the bot and were huge! I’ve seen a lot of big tarpon this trip for not catching any.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are the
Oh yeah I got into them for sure, but they were just swarming bait and couldn’t get them to eat. They were rolling like 5 feet from the bot and were huge! I’ve seen a lot of big tarpon this trip for not catching any.
doing a shallow roll or a deep high arched back roll?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I unfortunately had to hightail back to Montana, my big tarpons going to have to wait for next year. I did run into levidog at the ramp which was cool. Possibly the first straight info I got in Florida!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Are the

doing a shallow roll or a deep high arched back roll?
Pretty accentuated, not like the subtle roll you would normally see when they cruise around. Right around the creek mouths up in the mangroves.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Just billions of tiny minnows and tritails just floating around all over in there. But couldn’t hook up the tarpon, threw everything in my box and even went with some unrealistically light leader set ups.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts