Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is early to mid-May too late to camp 3 nights on a chickee? I've done early April with no problems but am worried about bugs and heat being bad a month later. What say you?

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,288 Posts
Only one way to find out.... So much depends on when the rains come that time of year. A week to ten days after the first heavy rains... clouds of skeeters.
We’ve had mosquitos here in Texas even after a couple of days around freezing. I think they are hybridizing...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've camped comfortably many times thru mid-June on chickees (Plate Creek,Rogers Bay),less so at a ground site (Lostmans 5). There will be bugs, skeeters are easy to control (she bites me,she starts to itch) but noseeum s not so much. I've never had a noseeum problem on the chickens unlike beach sites.
To beat the heat fish early and late and siesta in the chickees shade mid day. Sunshower is worth it's weight in gold. Watch the weather, I was camped on Rogers chickee in June when a boomer came in fast from the SW, the squall line blew the outhouse off the dock into the mangroves and had me awestruck,terrified in my tent trying to keep it from joining the outhouse. Good times!
It's really a matter of how much you can tolerate; won't be as comfortable as February but the fishing will be off the charts and you'll have the park to yourself.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bobber summed it up well. It will be a crap shoot. Heat will probably be worse than the bugs. I've been swarmed after a storm in early March before. Worse than anything I've ever encountered in my life. It all depends on the rains. Fish early and late, drink water/beer and chill in the shade during the mid-day heat. If it has been relatively dry, you should be fine. If you want world class fishing and want the park mostly to yourself, May-early June is a great time to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts