Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Fla Marine Tract

8577 71
So
If you spend the bucks for the chip, is it a 1 time deal, or do you have to pay every year?
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You pay for the updates. Highly recommend it.
I hear it's the best, I just don't want to pay that much every year
You pay for the updates. Highly recommend it.
I heard it's the best
Turns out, I have a Hummingbird, and they don't support the card
What's the second best that I can use?
Navionics?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Second best is a very distant second. The annual update cost is much less than the initial cost for FMT.
Second best is a very distant second. The annual update cost is much less than the initial cost for FMT.
You don't have to pay every year - only if you want updates.

Absolutely nothing in the mapping world comes close to FMT. It is expensive, but worth it if you want to fish unfamiliar inshore FL waters.
If it would run on Hummingbird I'd do it
Hard to justify buying something else

·
Registered
2015 HB Pro
134 Posts
The other thing I love about FMT are the emails with the dangerous changes with gps coordinates. I fish exclusively out of ENP and haven’t updated my chip in 3 years but have been able to add danger spots. It’s really a game changer, I switched to a Simrad (from Lowrance) just to get the chip and it was worth every penny.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just got the FMT north/south combo on Black Friday with their 20% off coupon. Having only used it once so far in very familiar waters I can’t say how good it will be for the waters I normally fish, but I can already tell how useful a tool it will be when fishing the west coast, ENP, or low tides in north Florida. Can’t wait to explore more areas with the use of this chip.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The other thing I love about FMT are the emails with the dangerous changes with gps coordinates. I fish exclusively out of ENP and haven’t updated my chip in 3 years but have been able to add danger spots. It’s really a game changer, I switched to a Simrad (from Lowrance) just to get the chip and it was worth every penny.
I know this is a little too late but all the fmt chips work with lowrance units. The Unit on their home page is a Lowrance.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I run my FMT in a Simrad Go9; I wouldn't run it in any unit of lower quality or processing speed.
FMT is 100% worth the money for the confidence it gives me to travel to different parts of the state and throttle down

·
Registered
350 Posts
You really should update your chart. It's only $119 to get the new one. Since the hurricane, hundreds of obstacles were added. Also, your chip is way out dated with respect to the quality of the imagery and many other map details including markers and track adds. Emails only go out if there is a substantive track change or a major obstacle on a track which is not very often.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If it would run on Hummingbird I'd do it
Hard to justify buying something else
That seems to be the case for many until they crash due to the uncertainty in many areas created running Navionics and other Garmin charts. Once that happens, the expense of the repair changes the perspective on things. Then it's the opposite perspective and you can't justify running the Hbird any longer given the supported charts. About 1,000 people in 2019 switched theirs out who found the charts supported in their Hbird and Garmin units poor at best.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That seems to be the case for many until they crash due to the uncertainty in many areas created running Navionics and other Garmin charts. Once that happens, the expense of the repair changes the perspective on things. Then it's the opposite perspective and you can't justify running the Hbird any longer given the supported charts. About 1,000 people in 2019 switched theirs out who found the charts supported in their Hbird and Garmin units poor at best.
Good point!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
607 Posts
Anyone have experience with FMT in the Jacksonville area? It looks like there are much fewer tracks compared to the west coast from what I can tell on their site.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have never even heard of this, my gps is so off Id still be out in the ocean somewhere if I used the depth charts on it.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.