Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago I was visiting family that were vacationing on Sanibel Island. The kids really wanted to go fishing so we headed up some estuary creeks and the Estero River to try our luck. With habitat consolidation caused by the red tide we were able to have non-stop action on mangrove snapper on almost every cast. All fish were released to fight another day.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great video of my stomping grounds. Glad some mangroves made it thru the red tide.
Thanks for watching. I fished several areas over the three days in SW FL. It seems that the saltwater fish are concentrated near the mouths of creeks that have a good current flow. My theory and that's all it is, is that the flow of water and the "freshness (not enough salt content)" pushes the red tide away and does not support its survival being it needs salt water. The fish that can find these mini habitats survive. Again I have nothing to base it on but I would be very careful on not eating fish from the infected areas. I have read reports from agencies and universities that go both ways on if its safe or not. Anyways I don't have any problem in releasing fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts