Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking to have a fishing vacation from Oct 1-3. There will be 4 of us and a small dog. Any recommendations to stay? Air BnB, fish camp, etc.

Places of Interest:
Steinhatchee
Yankeetown
Cedar Key
Suwannee

But open to anything. Thanks in advance.

PS I have already looked in Sea Hags Marina. Unfortunately, they do not have anything for us on those dates.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Last trip we went on we stayed on a house boat in Big Pine Key it was awesome. Great central location in the Keys, we did a charter for some Bonefishing the first day, and the rest of the time just went up and down the keys finding new fishing and snorkeling spots it was a blast. Gonna take the skiff with us next time. I booked through Air BnB but you can contact them directly as well, Old Wooden Bridge Guest Cottages and Marina.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last trip we went on we stayed on a house boat in Big Pine Key it was awesome. Great central location in the Keys, we did a charter for some Bonefishing the first day, and the rest of the time just went up and down the keys finding new fishing and snorkeling spots it was a blast. Gonna take the skiff with us next time. I booked through Air BnB but you can contact them directly as well, Old Wooden Bridge Guest Cottages and Marina.

Thank you, I will check it out.

·
BBA Counselor
7,288 Posts
Love Cedar Key. It doesn't matter where you stay, as it's so small you are only 5 minutes to the ramp from anywhere. That said, as close to Dock St/A St is the best. We stayed on 1st St in the colorful raised town homes, which was great because we had parking under it for the golf cart/boat and truck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love Cedar Key. It doesn't matter where you stay, as it's so small you are only 5 minutes to the ramp from anywhere. That said, as close to Dock St/A St is the best. We stayed on 1st St in the colorful raised town homes, which was great because we had parking under it for the golf cart/boat and truck.
Do you remember the name of the place you stayed?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,908 Posts

Can you tie off your skiff on the houseboat? If not, any idea how it might work?

·
Panhandler
2,908 Posts
Another vote for Cedar Key. Great spot and some good fishing. We stayed in an AirBnB house with the dog. Wouldn't rent it again, but there are lots of other options. The keys are cool to explore and the bay south can be good, but it is strewn with limestone. Be careful if you head south.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another vote for Cedar Key. Great spot and some good fishing. We stayed in an AirBnB house with the dog. Wouldn't rent it again, but there are lots of other options. The keys are cool to explore and the bay south can be good, but it is strewn with limestone. Be careful if you head south.
Do you happen to remember what Air bnb so I do not book it?

·
Panhandler
2,908 Posts
Sorry I don't. The house and location were OK, but the pests were not. I was also going to suggest Keaton like Bob mentioned. Really good fishing and several houses for short-term rental right on the canals.

Captains Evan Snow and Jay Carson are both great guides for KB if you don't want to bring your own boat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can you tie off your skiff on the houseboat? If not, any idea how it might work?
Yes, most of the houseboats you can park your skiff right next to it or behind it. Great setup, don't even have to launch it anywhere just get up and go right off the houseboat. There were tons of Tarpon everywhere right outside the marina. I hooked a few off the bridge but couldn't land any, they are really good at spitting out a hook lol.

·
BBA Counselor
7,288 Posts
Do you remember the name of the place you stayed?
This was it. Hope the link works. Each level was a 1/1 with an internal staircase you could open to make it a 2/2.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it challenging to navigate and get around the Cedar Key area? I do not want to start a vacation with a broken lower unit haha. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello,

I am looking to have a fishing vacation from Oct 1-3. There will be 4 of us and a small dog. Any recommendations to stay? Air BnB, fish camp, etc.

Places of Interest:
Steinhatchee
Yankeetown
Cedar Key
Suwannee

But open to anything. Thanks in advance.

PS I have already looked in Sea Hags Marina. Unfortunately, they do not have anything for us on those dates.
The old wooden bridge in big pine key idea is good. The houseboats are nice. They have lots of permit and small tarpon in the area in the fall.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts